Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Wet Driver side Floor, ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Old 03-18-2011, 01:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the input everyone. So far I can't see anything...out of place or obvious. It is still under warranty and I made an appointment for next week...time for me to make my several trips to get it sealed. LOL
Old 03-18-2011, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

My jeep was at the dealer just today for this problem. Jeep is 3 weeks old and we had some heavy rains last week. Floor got soaked. I could see the water running down the pillar between front and back doors. dealer said they were leak testing it all day and that there was no leak! Could not get it to leak Did nothing to fix and said I didn't have a problem!
Old 03-18-2011, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Had similar problem. Had dealer change all the seals. What interested me was that they said the drain plugs were not in correctly and that was part of the reason. Came that way from the factory.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had similar problem...It's not the seals but rather the door frame itself...Just give the (when facing opened door from inside) right upper corner a tug (window down of course) and then try it.

I go to UTI and one of the teachers worked at a Jeep dealership so he told me about this and since then, through heavy snow and torrenting rain, no leaks at all!
Old 04-02-2011, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Default worth a try

My '08 Wrangler Unlimited has 20k on it and just started getting water in the drivers compartment. Chrysler worked on it and found nothing. I read as many posts as I could stand and thought the most likely culprit was the two rubber drain plugs under the mat. My reasoning was that the last time I had the under body pressure cleaned at the car wash, the carpet got really soaked. I removed the plugs, cleaned the plug and hole area and applied automotive sealant. I'm going to let it cure for 24 hours and then run it through the car wash again. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
Hey guys, have an '08 JK unlimited. Just bought it this past fall from dealership with only 5K miles on it. It now has almost 15K on it. I was doing an after winter clean a few weeks ago and discovered my driver's carpet was wet. Now I have husky liners in my jeep and just thought that some of the slush and snow must of poured over the sides and wet the carpet. I cleaned it and left the floor mat out for a few days. It seemed to of dried up. Just noticed yesterday that my driver's floor is wet again. Now I know it isn't from slush or snow or even water on the mat, but we did have heavy rain a few days beforehand.
Anyone have any experience with this, any suggestions of where to start to look?\

Thanks
I purchased my 09 Unlimited last fall with a hard top only. So a couple weeks ago, I picked up a new soft top on Ebay from a 2007. Installed the top with no problems. Last week, we received a lot of rain and my driver side A-pillar and floor was all wet. After speaking with the dealership, I could not claim it under warranty cause the Jeep did not come with a soft top from the factory so I order part number 68026937-AA for TSB 23-002-08. It was about $37 dollars and it came with different size foam pieces for the hard and soft tops. Added all of the foam pieces for the soft top, even places that did not leak. Ran the Jeep through several car washes and not a single drop of water. I know it’s a Jeep but no one wants their Jeep smelling like a wet dog.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Having Similar Problem

Purchased my 2011 Rubi, dual top, about a month ago and upon delivery noticed the driver side front floor mat and carpet was a little wet. The Freedom Top was and remains installed. I thought maybe they had shampooed the carpet and the carpet was just damp. The carpet dried within a day so I didn't give it another thought. I live in Florida and it rains pretty regularly and the carpet has always stayed dried so I figured everything was fine. Then when I washed the jeep the first time I noticed the driver side front carpet was wet again so I thought maybe I didn't have the freedom top installed correctly. A week or so passed with more showers but the front carpet remained dry so again I thought there wasn't any real problem. Then I washed the jeep again and the front driver and front passenger side carpet was damp.

Well, last week I took the jeep to the dealer to have it looked at and they had a “leak and seal expert” test the vehicle and said the header seal needed to be replaced. They didn’t have the part in stock so I returned today to have the repair completed. After about an hour the service advisor spoke with me and said they actually had to keep the jeep overnight because they now had to do a TSB repair. Evidently the “leak and seal expert” is an outside vendor and is not permitted to do this kind of work. They said that the TSB requires that one of their jeep technicians has to do the repair and it requires more extensive water testing to ensure it’s done correctly???? Anyway, they gave me a loaner vehicle and said it “should” be finished tomorrow. I’ve got my fingers crossed but am worried this is the beginning of a long ordeal…..
Old 04-21-2011, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

just throwing this out there...

i have an 07 that i bought brand new that year with a hard top. after about a year of owning it in the end of winter/spring i was having the mysterious "wet carpet" issue all of you were having. took it to the dealer numerous times and they did everything they did to all the previously mentioned jeeps. none of that worked. odd what it ended up being. I am not sure if the design of the freedom tops has changed.. however.. on the model of freedom tops that i have the pieces above the front are not solid pieces. They were made by fusing 2 plastic molds together. so what was happening is that when it would snow/rain it would freeze a little.. expand in the seam and ended up pulling the 2 pieces of the freedom top apart. then it would thaw and the water would actually leak inside the freedom top and would stay there until i would move the jeep and move enough for it then to work its way inside the vehicle. I would be willing to bet they never took the freedom tops off and examine them. After I had made this discovery working with a tech there they apologized and ordered me an entirely new hard top. some of you may want to check this.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bought my JK second hand...
previous owner had at some time removed/replaced the drain rubbers...
the one on the passenger side was kinked...wet carpet every rainy day...
took out the rubber...heated it in hot water...re-installed it and the fix was done...
hope yours is as easy ...
Old 04-22-2011, 04:17 AM
JK Freak

i had a few leaks at the soft top on my 09 JKU right above the b-pillars where the soft top tucks into the grooves. extra attention when putting the top back up is now required. when the jeep was new i also had issues with the door weather stripping sticking to the top of the door on the body side and pulling the weather stripping out of its channel. extra attention here as well now and i also make sure that when i wash my truck i wipe all of the weather stripping and door jams clean and dry.

Quick Reply: Wet Driver side Floor, ANY SUGGESTIONS?