Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Weird #2 Cylinder Misfire Code

Old 06-24-2024, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird #2 Cylinder Misfire Code

Hi,

I searched for this specific failure mode and have not found the same thing anywhere so I figured I would ask. Recently I was running the WABDR trail in our 2018 JK. We were running very slow on the trails for many hours over several days. About 400 miles in the check engine light came on. I dropped down out of the mountains, found an auto parts store and pulled the code. It turned out to be the #2 cylinder misfire. Since the Jeep was running fine I reset it and headed back up onto the trail. Did another 50 miles or so, again going very slow, and the light came back on. At that point I decided to call off the rest of the trip and head home. Once I got down and back on the freeway and driving freeway speed, the check engine light went out on its own. Now we've driven it for several days and the light never came back on. There never was any indication of the Jeep running poorly. So my question is, has anyone ever experinced this issue while only going very slow over a long period of time? I am hoping this was just a glitch caused by driving that way for so long.
Old 06-24-2024, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 106 Posts

The misfire is a problem with our engines. You could have a code still and it not show because it takes 3 ignition cycles of the engine for the computer to throw the code. If the pcm detected a misfire, odds are that there is a problem somewhere. If could be a simple fuel injector, spark plug, coil, or even something more severe (like my issue) where it’s a head related issue.

Quick Reply: Weird #2 Cylinder Misfire Code