Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

weight shift clunk?

Old 09-14-2012, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weight shift clunk?

Lookin for some advice... I looked around to see if a thread on this already existed, but I didn't find one so I apologize in advance if this is a recent repeat...
I just bought my 2011 JK Sport last week, 10k miles on her. I notice when I make tight turns (either direction) that I hear a clunk... seems to be in the middle/front. It's not in the steering that people have mentioned nor does it occur with going from R to D, just on tight turns (taken slowly of course).
I had my mechanic check her out before buying her and he didn't see anything (other than a needed oil change) wrong. I didn't hear this clunking before I bought it.
Any ideas?

Last edited by cann311; 09-14-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Mine does the exact same thing! I think the front seat is not locked in to place but I havnt had time to fix it yet! Or see if that is the problem
Old 09-16-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

I checked the seats, not that.... it sounds like it's coming from from underneath, and whatever it is it's heavy.... gonna take her in for an oil change and filter change tomorrow, so i'll get them to check under. got underneath it today and didn't see anything obvious :/
Old 09-16-2012, 04:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any chance the previous owner installed an Auto Locker in the front differential?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cann311
I checked the seats, not that.... it sounds like it's coming from from underneath, and whatever it is it's heavy.... gonna take her in for an oil change and filter change tomorrow, so i'll get them to check under. got underneath it today and didn't see anything obvious :/
Hey Carrie.

Someone with a trained eye is going to have to take a pry bar and pry on the various suspension components under your JK.

Most likely it is a track bar (there are 2). That's the piece that keeps the differentials from shifting left to right and that's what it sounds like you are describing.

There are a dozen or so suspension components front and back and any one of them could cause something similar to what you are describing.

It may just be one or more bolts need re-torqued to the factory specs. Link to Project-JK Torque Specs.
Good luck.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check the front Axle u joints. What your describing could be to a worn out u joint as when u turn the wheel they turn also.
Could maybe be a locker or lsd someone installed like above poster said. If u have the wheels off the ground and turn the front wheels by hand u will see if it's open or has a lsd or locker.

Quick Reply: weight shift clunk?