Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

WCM & Starter Signal Wire related in any way???

Old 10-07-2019, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WCM & Starter Signal Wire related in any way???

Waited for several issues to accumulate before taking the Jeep in for service. Want to get the biggest bang for my buck on the $100 warranty deductible. When the engine wouldn't start reliably, I knew it was time to go.

Question: do these charges seem right? Are the WCM and Starter Signal Wire related in any way? Apologies if this is a stupid question... I just don't want to get taken advantage of. It's a 2008 Wrangler, stick.

1) The Sentry Key warning light was periodically going on and off during normal vehicle operation, indicating there's a fault in the electronics.

2) The car had intermittent starting issues. Sometimes it would start right up, other times it would click but not turn over. Always starts after several tries.

Dealership replaced and programmed the WCM - $793 (covered by warranty; $100 deductible)

Dealership determined starter itself is good but the starter signal wire connector is coming apart. $423 to repair wire. (Starter would be covered by warranty but wire isn't.)

Diagnostic charge (for starter) is $142.

Total charge: $242

Is it just coincidence that the WCM is messing up and the starter wire needs replacing at the same time? Does it sound like these are two distinct issues or could they both be contributing to the intermittent start? If both actually need to be replaced, do all of the wires go up through the steering column meaning it's easier to do both jobs at the same time?

Also, we have two keys to the Jeep. Shouldn't both be programmed?

My first post. Thanks in advance for your help!

Quick Reply: WCM & Starter Signal Wire related in any way???