Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Water in the Wiper Motor!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in the Wiper Motor!

Wasn't sure whether to put this here or the electrical section. However, here goes:

Yesterday when I pulled out the hard top to slap on the Jeep, I noticed that the tarp covering it has popped a hole. Since the top sits sideways (rear window at the bottom), there was significant water built up on the rear window and obviously in the rear wiper motor! I drained it and put the top on but didn't connect the electrical connection in fear of shorting something out. So at this point I'm not ever sure if it works anymore. Should I remove the motor and clean it? Should I spray it with WD-40??

Any recommendations as to what to do next??? Thanks in advance.

J.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:20 AM
JK Freak

Depending on how long the water sat pooled in the motor it may still be good. Give it a good amount of time to dry out before you plug it in, then give it a shot. If it doesn't work, don't leave it plugged in as it may be a potential fire hazard.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hit it with some compressed air and let it sit in the sun for a week or so. Don't plug it in!
Old 10-13-2009, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

What about spraying it with WD-40? Would that help? I'm not sure if its conductive or not!
Old 10-13-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JulianK
What about spraying it with WD-40? Would that help? I'm not sure if its conductive or not!
It wouldnt hurt to displace the water. But dont plug it in yet let it dry out for awhile.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only issue with WD-40 is will attract dust later on. I wouldn't spray with wd40 yet. I would get some electronics cleaning spray. I believe Radio Shack carries it.

Quick Reply: Water in the Wiper Motor!