Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Water Proof Electricals?

Old 10-30-2010, 04:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Proof Electricals?

Hey do our stock JKs have waterproof electricals? Like would it be safe to submerge a stock JK with a snorkel in water as deep as the hood?
Old 10-30-2010, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matt852
Hey do our stock JKs have waterproof electricals? Like would it be safe to submerge a stock JK with a snorkel in water as deep as the hood?
I would not...I have not but I have seen a dead one from this. Not sure if it dried out or not, but it stopped running and it was not from water in the engine.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:29 PM
JK Jedi

Go that deep for very long and you will have major problems. Do a search and look for a large thread about a member named Almightycrash. I haven't seen him on here in quite some time, but he went too deep, got stuck, and had all sorts if problems. (looked like he had a hell of a good time doing it though :yep
Old 10-30-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Mskh20
Go that deep for very long and you will have major problems. Do a search and look for a large thread about a member named Almightycrash. I haven't seen him on here in quite some time, but he went too deep, got stuck, and had all sorts if problems. (looked like he had a hell of a good time doing it though :yep
Thanks but I can't find any of his posts? Do you have a link to his profile?

Last edited by matt852; 10-30-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:43 PM
JK Junkie

NVM found him he's the yellow jk
Old 10-31-2010, 04:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My grand daughter dropped her cellphone in the pool last summer. I got it as quick as I could. Removed the battery right away, and dried it out. It never worked again.
Water and electricity or electronics do not work well together.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my JK (RHD) bogged in a deep waterhole & it sat there for around an hour until we could recover it. It was at a nose-down angle leaning to one side with water over the front of the hood & covering the right flare (switched motor off before I hydrolocked it) with block almost fully submerged; water inside covering lower console/seat cusions/up to bottom of the dash.

Started up first time after we recovered it and drove 100miles home no problems (apart from a wet ass), with everything working & it threw no codes. Left it to dry for a day in the sun before driving it again & all good (2 years ago now) with no electrical issues since; obviously had to change fluids in diffs, tranny & transfer case due to water contamination but engine oil was good so the seals must be good.

The only issue I have had that may have been related was the ABS pump failing about 6 months later (replaced under warranty); pump was submerged as well during the dunking.

I think the electrics of the JK are fairly well waterproofed, though apparantly if it stalls or you switch the motor off you dont want to try to start it again while the block's submerged ; people have blown starter motors (and fried other associated electricals with it) because the water shorts it out due to the high current draw of the starter.

Last edited by JKlad; 10-31-2010 at 04:09 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 04:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKlad
I got my JK (RHD) bogged in a deep waterhole & it sat there for around an hour until we could recover it. It was at a nose-down angle leaning to one side with water over the front of the hood & covering the right flare (switched motor off before I hydrolocked it) with block almost fully submerged; water inside covering lower console/seat cusions/up to bottom of the dash.

Started up first time after we recovered it and drove 100miles home no problems (apart from a wet ass), with everything working & it threw no codes. Left it to dry for a day in the sun before driving it again & all good (2 years ago now) with no electrical issues since; obviously had to change fluids in diffs, tranny & transfer case due to water contamination but engine oil was good so the seals must be good.

The only issue I have had that may have been related was the ABS pump failing about 6 months later (replaced under warranty); pump was submerged as well during the dunking.

I think the electrics of the JK are fairly well waterproofed, though apparantly if it stalls or you switch the motor off you dont want to try to start it again while the block's submerged ; people have blown starter motors (and fried other associated electricals with it) because the water shorts it out due to the high current draw of the starter.
From an electricians/electronics tech point of view, if you did nothing in the area of removing wires spraying down with something like contact cleaner, WD40, or the likes and drying and re-cleaning the terminals and lugs, including all electrical components, you are a pretty lucky guy to have no problems with corrosion, leading to shorts or grounds.

Quick Reply: Water Proof Electricals?