Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Water in the Oil :(

Old 12-30-2012, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in the Oil :(

I went offroading over the weekend and when going through the water the Jeep began to chug. I got out of the mud hole and onto level ground and the engine shut off. After having another Jeeper pull me out and drug back home, I came to check today that there is water in the oil. The air box is a little wet but it wasn't filled with water and I am unsure how the water could have got there all that I can think is that it got sucked in through the exhaust. I am unsure about how it got there but my concern is getting it out. What do I need to do? I drained all the oil currently in there what else should I do to ensure all of the water gets out? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 AM
JK Freak

I'd wait awhile. Recheck the new oil to make sure there are no signs of water before starting.

You might want to check your diff's as well.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go buy a new air filter and clean out the air box and possibly take the it apart and dry it out
Old 12-30-2012, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Pull plugs and turn it over with plugs out to ensure none in a cylender first before anything else, as you have done chg oil, I would get some engine flush after you ensure there no water in cylenders. Put it in with the new oil and run untill good and warmed up to evaporate any water then change oil again.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DesolationMania
I'd wait awhile. Recheck the new oil to make sure there are no signs of water before starting.

You might want to check your diff's as well.
I have breathers on the diff's so those should be good. Should I do anything before I pour new oil in?
Old 12-30-2012, 09:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TxRdStr
Pull plugs and turn it over with plugs out to ensure none in a cylender first before anything else, as you have done chg oil, I would get some engine flush after you ensure there no water in cylenders. Put it in with the new oil and run untill good and warmed up to evaporate any water then change oil again.
Do you think I should remove the oil pan and clean it out or what?
Old 12-30-2012, 09:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TxRdStr
Originally Posted by SoutheastOffroader
Do you think I should remove the oil pan and clean it out or what?
Definitely pull the plugs like he said... Buy some extra oil and a clean drain pan, leave the drain plug out of the oil pan and pour the oil in the engine and let it until out into ur CLEAN drain pan.... Flush engine a few times like this..... Only AFTER u pulled all ur spark plugs and while their out u crank engine to make sure nothing is in the cylinders... If there is, it will shoot out like a bullet so keep ppl clear.... Will cause injury

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Tapatalk 2
Old 12-30-2012, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

So after a few hours of work and some money spent she is back up and running. I drained oil, poured some oil through the engine to flush the mud, removed spark plugs and turned the engine over. Water sprayed out there too. Threw away air filter replaced with K&N air filter. Sprayed some WD-40 into the cylinders then turned over again. Replaced with new double platinum coated spark plugs. 1 dead battery then cranked. Thank everyone for all the suggestions and help!

Quick Reply: Water in the Oil :(