Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Water leak poll

Old 12-01-2015, 06:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I intermittently get leaks start to show up from the hard-top on my '08 2-door every year or so (overhead drips onto the dash panel and driver's seat areas). When this happens I simply remove the 2x front panels, thoroughly clean all the dirt & crap off the seals and the contact areas on the undersides of the panels themselves, and then coat the seals lightly with a silicone lubricant before re-installing the panels.

This 15-20 minute procedure seems to work for me every time and will usually see the top leak-free for another 12-18 months before I need to repeat the process once again.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a 2013 and now have a 2015. Both 2-door hard tops. Neither has leaked. But I've been good about keeping all of the seals lubed with silicone grease.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still think they should offer a solid hardtop, like the older Jeeps had. None of these problems and I hardly ever remove my tops.

That being said, my '11 leaked all the time, from everywhere. I tried to adjust it, clean the seals, etc. The leaks would just move.

My '12 has been mostly trouble free. it leaked once behind the front seats, adjusted that out. A few drips from above the radio. I think I've got that one now too.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JKlad
I intermittently get leaks start to show up from the hard-top on my '08 2-door every year or so (overhead drips onto the dash panel and driver's seat areas). When this happens I simply remove the 2x front panels, thoroughly clean all the dirt & crap off the seals and the contact areas on the undersides of the panels themselves, and then coat the seals lightly with a silicone lubricant before re-installing the panels.

This 15-20 minute procedure seems to work for me every time and will usually see the top leak-free for another 12-18 months before I need to repeat the process once again.
My '12 is the same. When it has leaked (2-3 times over 3+ years) it's always just been a couple of drops on the center of the dash from where the panels meet overhead.

Wiping down the seals and re-seating the panels has always fixed the issue. I don't take the panels out very often so I assume they shift around or loosen up. I follow the factory removal/install guide to a 'T'.

Quick Reply: Water leak poll