Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Water dripping in from under the dash on the driver's side in the rain

Old 01-08-2017, 02:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Water dripping in from under the dash on the driver's side in the rain

I'm chasing a bunch of water leaks but this one has me totally stumped. I have water coming in from under the dash on the driver's side. It's running down the left side about 6" from the firewall. I can see a trail of water below the dash support bracket but nothing above it. There is no place near the bracket for water to come in. It seems to be related to water draining from the cowl but again, I can't trace the water higher than a little less than half way and then the trail disappears. I've reviewed the Jeep water leak guide and it doesn't address this (only the passenger side).

Has anyone run into this? It's driving me nuts!

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2017, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer
I'm chasing a bunch of water leaks but this one has me totally stumped. I have water coming in from under the dash on the driver's side. It's running down the left side about 6" from the firewall. I can see a trail of water below the dash support bracket but nothing above it. There is no place near the bracket for water to come in. It seems to be related to water draining from the cowl but again, I can't trace the water higher than a little less than half way and then the trail disappears. I've reviewed the Jeep water leak guide and it doesn't address this (only the passenger side). Has anyone run into this? It's driving me nuts! Thanks!
I think most vehicles have a drain hole in the vents at the base of the windshield. If it is plugged you can get water under the dash. Check to see if the drain is plugged.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There's an opening in the firewall through which the rear window washer hose passes - probably other things too. When some wiring was being added for an add-on, my rear washer hose was damaged - every time I use the rear washer, I get water dripped on my feet in the exact area your describe.

Assuming you have the rear washer, follow the hose through the firewall - and plug the opening. I don't use the rear window washer.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I took a look at the rear washer hose and didn't think it was the culprit. It does into the engine compartment, not the cowl so it should stay dry. I also pushed a bunch of wires through the opening in the firewall below that but don't see any water there. I'll check both tonight.

My rear wiper has been removed so I can't care about that line at all.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by webhannet
There's an opening in the firewall through which the rear window washer hose passes - probably other things too. When some wiring was being added for an add-on, my rear washer hose was damaged - every time I use the rear washer, I get water dripped on my feet in the exact area your describe.

Assuming you have the rear washer, follow the hose through the firewall - and plug the opening. I don't use the rear window washer.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue but maybe not the same cause/solution. For me it turns out that the drains in the cowl were clogged with pine needles. I vacuumed them out and problem solved.

See video for instructions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyvY4s5-HdY Note: I'm not the author of the video but did the same thing on my jeep and it worked..

Quick Reply: Water dripping in from under the dash on the driver's side in the rain