Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Water behind dash?!?!?

Old 04-15-2009, 11:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water behind dash?!?!?

it has been raining very hard off and on for a few days and I have noticed water in drivers front floor board.well, last night I got in and the floorboard was dry, until I came to a stop and made a left turn. I heard water sloshing under my behind my dash and then I had about a pint of water in my floorboard.
I don't have any carpet in it, but need to figure out where it is coming from. are there any drains that could be clogged up? a/c? where would I find them?
I'm in mud ALOT so I figure I might have something clogged.
anyone else have this problem?
thanks!
Old 04-15-2009, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default from TJ experience

I have not had this problem yet in my JK... but on my son's TJ, there is a common problem under the hood cowling. Either the drain under the hood cowl becomes clogged with dirt or leaves, or the seal where the cabin air intake box sticks up in there has a gap. This is solved by a good dose of RTV to seal it back up.

I just had to reseal my son's TJ a few weeks ago after a tremendous rain left the air intake box flooded, and dripping on the passenger floor.

So, I don't know if our new JKs suffer the same weakness, but if you eliminate the top as a factor causing this water leak, you might just want to pull off your hood cowl and take a look. It should only take you a few minutes. You have to remove the wipers (nuts), and then there are 6 or so small torx bolts holding the cowl in place.

Good luck, and please share what you find!
Old 04-15-2009, 03:10 PM
JK Freak

cool! thanks! I'll check there and let you know what I find.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

i've been noticing my drivers carpet has been a little wet lately but i just figured it was only there because im basically the only one in the jeep and that it just didnt dry because the jeep is closed up ( still fairly chilly in maine)..i have never been mudding or anything so i can't figure out why id have a blockage somewhere..and the jeep only has 7600 miles on it

note: could just be water from my shoes/ water dripping from when the door is open that won't dry up..im thinking because i have big heavy rubber mats that the floor doesnt get the chance to dry up as much as it could, because the mats are blocking air flow to the carpet and i never have the jeep opened up unless im driving..could be it as well..

Last edited by saharastyle1354; 04-17-2009 at 11:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Water behind dash?!?!?