Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Warranty and Wheel Spacers

Old 04-25-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty and Wheel Spacers

I know it all depends on who your dealer is and how they view mods in regards to voiding a warranty; but i was wondering if wheel spacers could be grounds for a warranty to be voided on say axles or any other drive train components. In other words, do wheel spacers put any stress on the axles or any other part that is normally not stressed as much without the spacers?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:16 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by justinp.
I know it all depends on who your dealer is and how they view mods in regards to voiding a warranty; but i was wondering if wheel spacers could be grounds for a warranty to be voided on say axles or any other drive train components. In other words, do wheel spacers put any stress on the axles or any other part that is normally not stressed as much without the spacers?
Spacers will increase component stress a little because it puts the wheel/tire out a little farther. This gives them a little more leverage.

As weak as the stock ball joints and unit bearings are on the front, they will be the first to go whether you have spacers or not. Spacers may accelerate their wear a little.

If you take your JK in for warranty on these items, you should take the spacers off, because you don't want the dealer mechanics to have to deal with installing them correctly. Therefore, spacers will not be a factor in warranty coverage.

Personally, I have decided not to install a mod that would adversely affect a covered part. Eventually, I will say the heck with the warranty and mod some stuff anyway, not expecting coverage. I will ask, though, and give them the chance to say yes or no, when the part needs replacing.

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-25-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

thanks ronjenx.

BUMP for anyone else with an opinion or experience on being denied warranty coverage as a result of wheel spacers?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:40 AM
JK Freak

Chances are that they will.. They put extra stress on the Hub, bearings, and everything else in that area... However there are so many us us, including myself, running these.. If I have to take my JK to the dealer the spacers will come off.. I dont want to chane it...
Old 04-25-2010, 09:59 AM
JK Freak

Depending on what type of Warranty work was needed along with how mod friendly the dealer is you may want to remove them. As for adverse effects caused by Spacers (assuming that they are of good quality & hub centric) Wheel back spacing and tire size/weight would have to be considered.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had my front axle seals replaced under warranty, never dawned on me to remove the spacers first. They never said anything about it & replaced the seals at no charge.

Had I thought about removing them, i would have but as it turned out it wasnt needed. Now I am out of warrantty so it doesnt matter.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:10 AM
JK Super Freak

My dealer service manager suggested getting them when I get the bigger tires. They even have installed them on Dodge Pickups.
Old 04-25-2010, 10:14 AM
JK Freak

i went to my dealer and asked them if they would still back the lifetime warranty in writing if i paid them to install a lift and gears. the answer...................... YES! you might be surprised what dealerships would be willing to do when it comes to warranty work, since they basically get paid on the work by chrysler. all you can do is ask
Old 07-06-2018, 06:14 AM
bek
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CreepyJeeper
i went to my dealer and asked them if they would still back the lifetime warranty in writing if i paid them to install a lift and gears. the answer...................... YES! you might be surprised what dealerships would be willing to do when it comes to warranty work, since they basically get paid on the work by chrysler. all you can do is ask
Hey Creepy, who's your dealer that will do that? I'm just in Frankfort. Howdy, neighbor!

Bob Allen in Frankfort is really picky about what's covered under warranty and the mods you do.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by justinp.
In other words, do wheel spacers put any stress on the axles or any other part that is normally not stressed as much without the spacers?
First, stick with quality brand hub-centric wheel spacers. Second, any extra mystery stress from wheel spacers will only be mirrored when I buy aftermarket wheels with the proper + desired non-OEM backspacing.

Quick Reply: Warranty and Wheel Spacers