Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Warning Water in Storage Space

Old 05-05-2007, 07:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still not fully dry yet. I have done everything but pull the carpet. I have not done that because there has been a 60% chance of rain for the past 2 days and tommorow as well although we have not gotten a drop. I have proped up the carpet alllowing water to drain from it. I have the hardtop and doors back on so it can't collect any more water.
My complaint is not that it got wet but it filled with water while the rest of the back just got damp. I think the top of the carpet is a little water resistant and as it shed water it ran into the storage area where it soaked into the backing. The top of the carpet is dry as is the backing except where the storage area is. They put a plug in (which will be removed from now on unless I plan to ford a creek or someting) but the water still had to be mopped out as it does not all run to it. Also with the lid unless you take it off and lift the carpet to get airflow and allow the backing to drain it will never dry. I like the storage area but being a jeep it should have been designed to be waterproof or never lined with carpet in the first place. Also the design of the storage area does not promote draining out the plug hole unless you force it out.
Untill now I thought most of the jeep was well designed except for a few bugs. I now begin to seriously wonder how many more not well thought out designs there are. I know pull the carpet and rhino line however I can't afford that now so I guess I will be watching the weather a lot more closely when the top is off and run for cover the first sign of rain.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:59 PM
JK Newbie

Talking

I wish somebody would come up with a decent
tonneau cover.

I just put on the bestop duster and windjammer yesterday and drove around in the rain today in OKC. Didnt get wet at all in the back and I dont even have the back of the duster latched down (they forgot to put the F&^% rail in the box)

Cover is tight and pretty easy to install
Old 05-06-2007, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

It took over a week for mine to dry out.you have to keep the top of the storage area open some for it to dry.i had 6 1/2 gallons of water that i vac out of my jeep using a wet/dry vac
Old 05-06-2007, 06:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Does any body have the security cover? If so, does it keep water out ?

Old 05-06-2007, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

I pulled my carpet out after two of having my jk 10lbs of melted ice the first day of ownership was enough for me and it keeps the sand out
Old 05-06-2007, 09:13 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by newjag
If they had put a lip on the storage bin the water would of collected all over............better to have it in one place to dry it out.
I agree...I think you're thinking about this all wrong. It's a good thing that it collected. Otherwise you would have had water all over the place. This was probably by design, and in fact the way they wanted it to work. Seems logical to me.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by muddpuppy01
I pulled my carpet out after two of having my jk 10lbs of melted ice the first day of ownership was enough for me and it keeps the sand out
I was thinking about pulling the carpet out of the rear of mine as well... Thought about putting some of that textured liner stuff on it... do you have any pictures of what yours looks like w/out the carpet back there?
Old 05-07-2007, 09:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by OkieMike

I just put on the bestop duster and windjammer yesterday and drove around in the rain today in OKC. Didnt get wet at all in the back and I dont even have the back of the duster latched down (they forgot to put the F&^% rail in the box)

Cover is tight and pretty easy to install
Yes but you see you have the 2 door and actually have the option of a duster. I have been told there is not one yet for the 4 door. I could be wrong.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JackMacOKC
I agree...I think you're thinking about this all wrong. It's a good thing that it collected. Otherwise you would have had water all over the place. This was probably by design, and in fact the way they wanted it to work. Seems logical to me.
Logical yes however it all drains into a STORAGE COMPARTMENT not a bilge. Of course I did not think about this eventuality as I have been leaving the jeep when the top is off under cover at home on days it called for rain. My main hope is this helps to keep someone from making an expensive mistake. I saw where one guy had his registration and papers in it which is bad but God forbid someone puts an expensive camera or cell phone in it (afterall it is a locked storage compartment) while at the beach does not get caught in a storm.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

I think bestop has a duster(tonneau) cover. But at least one
thread described how it caused dents or something
when it was installed securely. I'm waiting for resolution
on that.

Quick Reply: Warning Water in Storage Space