Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Warning Water in Storage Space

Old 05-04-2007, 05:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Warning Water in Storage Space

I was out picking up the kids from school yesterday (I know not what a jeep is for but it's also a daily driver) when I got caught in a sudden heavy downpour. We all know the kind water coming sideways, frogs flying by, you know a realy bad storm. I had my doors off and safari top on so needless to say the kids and I got wet however the interior was fairly dry except for the rear area. This is no big deal we can dry off at home and park the jeep on the carport (BTW no rain at home still dusty as ever). I get home and we unload thier bookbags (thankfully not in the back) and I decide to look in the storage space. As expected it was wet inside but not just wet there was standing water in it . It seems like every drop that got into the back collected in the storage area. I had to pull the plug and lift the lid to try to dry it out and it's still not dry. I put the hardtop and doors back on because we are suposed to get more rain today but I still left the windows down and storage lid proped up to hopefully dry it out. Luckily for me I kind of thought this would happen and the only things I store in there that could possibly get hurt by getting wet was the stuff in the WATERPROOF medical kit I keep with me, folding cane in case my knee goes out, and maybe the tow strap.
The problem I have with this is I feel the water puddling in the storage area could have been prevented by a little more design thought like making a lip or waterproofing it a little more. Of course some will say it is my fault for not running a deck cover or not having the full top on but yesterday was sunny and nice and today through the weekend was the rainy days. On top of that I have not seen a deck cover for the 4 door yet. This is a natural problem all jeep owners face because storms come up and we have to learn to deal with it so I am moving on but DC should have designed it with this eventuality in mind.
BTW I hope this helps some of you "new" to owning a jeep not to make the mistake of leaving things that will be harmed by water in the storage area.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the heads up. I will check my gear back there and make sure it is all submersible.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 007divegirl
Thanks for the heads up. I will check my gear back there and make sure it is all submersible.
Wouldn't want that back up bikini to get wet.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rupedog
Wouldn't want that back up bikini to get wet.
A wet bikini is cool a moldy wet bikini is not. If it does not dry out soon I will be pulling carpet just to keep it from molding.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha Ha....
Old 05-04-2007, 06:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 007divegirl
Ha Ha....
Old 05-04-2007, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

i just took the carpet out. thats where the tow strap goes and its not always the cleanest so i can toss it in here. Get home from wheeling, taking it out, pull the plug and wash out the storage area
Old 05-04-2007, 10:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
Veteran: Air ForceFJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by only_in_my_jeep
I was out picking up the kids from school yesterday (I know not what a jeep is for ...) ... I had my doors off and safari top on ...
What are you apologizing for? You've got to be the coolest dad at that school!
Old 05-04-2007, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

If they had put a lip on the storage bin the water would of collected all over............better to have it in one place to dry it out.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:12 PM
JK Freak

I had the same thing happen. My registration and insurance
cards got soaked.

I had no top on with the husky cargo liner in place.
Still soaked the cubby.

It's hard to get the carpet to dry out. Don't forget
to check all the surfaces in the cargo area too.

I wish somebody would come up with a decent
tonneau cover.

Quick Reply: Warning Water in Storage Space