Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Warning chime once a day, no lights or codes

Old 12-24-2009, 08:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning chime once a day, no lights or codes

Help!!
I have a mostly stock 2008 2 dr, auto.
I get a chime every day, but only once a day no matter what.
I have taken off my factory wheels, and replaced them with soft 8's, and 32's
When I did this I did not put back on the TPMS.
For a few months I had no issues other than the normal chimes and light at start up.
Now I get a warning chime after driving for about 15-20 minutes, but only once a day no matter how far, or how many times I start and stop. Today it is 12 degrees and I was in 4 high and it chimed a little sooner than usual, and chimed twice. It is not the seat belt, it is not an open door, it does not send a code, no light comes on in the dash, it happens regardless of outside temp, it happens on road, not off because it happens before I can get to a trail, it never happens more than once a day.
I have taken it to all the dealerships in my area. The closest I got to an answer is that it is a "key cycle" or some kind of "cycle", and that it is because of the TPMS not being in the tires. I don't buy that because it did not chime for months after removing them. I am convinced that it is the transmission hitting some kind of critical temp, but I can't prove it, and I don't want to pay to prove it by installing a temp gauge. I also have not had the recall work done to install the trans temp warning because none of the local dealerships even know about it.
Please help me. This thing is nagging at me, and preventing me from adding my lift and 35's for fear of there being something wrong.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crashdown
I also have not had the recall work done to install the trans temp warning because none of the local dealerships even know about it.

I have a 2008 2dr, and my TMPS dies all the time. Have to take it in to have it reporgrammed. I have not switch wheels as you, but it can be this. I get the TMPS chime at startup. And then later, it makes a chime, but not everytime as you are having. Just every so often. When I get it reprogrammed, it all goes away, no second chime.

Also, can you point me to this recall notice? My dealer does not know about it (nor I) but they are good to fix it if I show it to them.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

my guess is it's the tranny overheat chime, BUT, I highly doubt it is actually overheating. I have a similar issue that might shed some light. My jeep is an 09 with the idiot light in the dash and the chime. they usually come on once a day as well. However, i have a temp gauge and it NEVER gets even close to the overheat temp of 240. it can happen at any random temp., but usually after about 15-20 mins. like you have stated. It never throws a code. It is a pain in the ass, but probably a false alarm.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DJSJK50
I have a 2008 2dr, and my TMPS dies all the time. Have to take it in to have it reporgrammed. I have not switch wheels as you, but it can be this. I get the TMPS chime at startup. And then later, it makes a chime, but not everytime as you are having. Just every so often. When I get it reprogrammed, it all goes away, no second chime.

Also, can you point me to this recall notice? My dealer does not know about it (nor I) but they are good to fix it if I show it to them.

Do a Google search. It is only for 2007 and 2008 with auto trans. 2009 and on has it already built in. I think it is like 161k jeeps that are to start being recalled soon.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Hoopa70
my guess is it's the tranny overheat chime, BUT, I highly doubt it is actually overheating. I have a similar issue that might shed some light. My jeep is an 09 with the idiot light in the dash and the chime. they usually come on once a day as well. However, i have a temp gauge and it NEVER gets even close to the overheat temp of 240. it can happen at any random temp., but usually after about 15-20 mins. like you have stated. It never throws a code. It is a pain in the ass, but probably a false alarm.
That kinda makes sense except....... The 2007 and 2008 are being recalled soon to put in the chime and dash light letting you know that the tranny has overheated. I guess that's cheaper than actually fixing the reason it is overheating. So anyway, why recall and install an "overheat chime" if it's already there?
Old 12-24-2009, 02:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crashdown
That kinda makes sense except....... The 2007 and 2008 are being recalled soon to put in the chime and dash light letting you know that the tranny has overheated. I guess that's cheaper than actually fixing the reason it is overheating. So anyway, why recall and install an "overheat chime" if it's already there?
maybe you got the jeep with the chime programed in but no light??
Old 12-24-2009, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by captjay
maybe you got the jeep with the chime programed in but no light??
Doubt it, but who knows.
If so, then it overheats everyday, just once, never more....... So frustrating!!!!
Old 12-25-2009, 01:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the recall--the chime is already there, they're just gong to add/activate a warning light to go along with the chime.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is the report I found with the search.

Owners of model year 2007-2008 Jeep Wranglers with automatic transmissions may have to visit their local dealers as Chrysler is recalling 161,450 of the SUVs over potential transmission overheating problems. According to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA), Wrangler models manufactured between June 2006 and July 2008 with automatic transmissions were not fitted with a transmission fluid temperature warning system. If the AT fluid in the affected vehicles overheats, it may boil over and come in contact with hot engine or exhaust components – possibly leading to a fire.

To help alert drivers that their Jeep's transmission is overheating, dealers will inspect and install a visual "Hot Oil" message in the instrument cluster accompanied by an audible chime to indicate the elevated fluid temperature. The service will be performed free of charge starting in December. For more information, owners of the affected models may call Chrysler at 1-800-835-1403, NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236, or visit www.safercar.gov. Full press release after the jump.

[Source: NHTSA]

PRESS RELEASE:

Vehicle Make / Model: JEEP / WRANGLER
Model Year(s): 2007-2008
Potential Number of Units Affected: 161,450

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V436000

Summary:

CHRYSLER IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2007 THROUGH 2008 JEEP WRANGLER MANUFACTURE BETWEEN JUNE 2006 THROUGH JULY 2008 PASSENGER VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. THESE VEHICLES WERE NOT EQUIPPED WITH A TRANSMISSION FLUID TEMPERATURE WARNING SYSTEM.

Consequence:

FLUID COULD BOIL OVER AND MAY COME INTO CONTACT WITH A HOT ENGINE OR EXHAUST COMPONENT AND CAUSE A FIRE.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL INSPECT AND INSTALL A "HOTOIL" MESSAGE IN THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER AND A CHIME INDICATING AN ELEVATED TRANSMISSION FLUID CONDITION. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING DECEMBER 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHRYSLER AT 1-800-835-1403.

Notes:

CHRYSLER RECALL NO. J30. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .
Old 12-27-2009, 02:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default An automatic? In a Jeep?

That's a new one on me.

Quick Reply: Warning chime once a day, no lights or codes