Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Want to leave Jeep outside on the street doorless...how hard is it to steal Mygig?

Old 09-15-2010, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't leave anything in the jeep and I live in the ghetto(Baltimore city) I just picked up a trail cover(besttop). I've had the top off since Monday and just toss the cover over it. You can put a lock through it, but I figure the extra steps of taking it off might help people leave it alone. So far so good!
Old 09-15-2010, 11:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Arcticanalog
I recently moved to Charleston, Sc and it's supposed be nice all week here. My friend left his window open on our street and got his garmin stolen...

My question is:

I'm some what worried about my MyGig. How hard is it for someone to jack it? Also does anyone really think someone would steel my $30 cb (also with an NRA sticker on my windshield)?

Thanks!
crack heads around here will steal anything they think might get them a few bucks. They don't stop to analyze it's worth, they just smash and grab.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

so many crack heads. You're very right. They hustle and hassle. Are you living here now?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never ever lock the Jeep (w/ MyGig). I don't keep anything in it. I also leave it doorless/topless outside constantly and have never had a single issue here in NC. Honestly the MyGig is pretty crappy in the big picture of radios. There can't be much market for a stolen one. They look like a cheap stock radio.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Mygig is easy to get out as long as you know how and have the right tools ready (most thieves dont). Your looking at about 10 mins + if you know what your doing, which is more time than most thieves want to spend in a car. You should be fine as long as you leave it parked somewhere public (not a dark apartment parking lot all night)
Old 09-15-2010, 03:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even in the best of neighbor hoods people loose items in fully locked vehicles. Jeeps are some of the most simple cars to beak into. Now, you want to leave it completely exposes? They will jack your SHIT! Don't do it. Or the next thread you type up will be you telling us about how your stuff was stolen. I always say, out of sight out of mind.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:01 PM
JK Freak

Alot of aftermarket headunits slide in and out on a rail and are unsnapped with a tool. By comparison, the factory units are much harder being that they require unscrewing. We may know how to chisel out a headunit, but how many street looters know whats behind a JK bezel? With most factory headunits, removal is difficult at best (in my experience anyway).

Your MyGig is probably safer then a shiny $100 Sony Xplode headunit. In any case, with a Jeep, for the love of god get $0 comprehensive insurance so a thief wont ruin your day.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

It is pretty simple to pull the radio out of any normal car. (luxury cars like infinity, bmw etc being the exception)

If the my gig is all you are worried about then I would just get the insurance to cover whatever damages might be caused and enjoy your jeep.

Insurance upgrade was the first thing I did after I put my system in.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:15 PM
JK Junkie

Here's an escalation of what Alec expressed. The MyGig stores adresses on it. An industrious meth/crack addict (oxymoron?) could steal MyGig and garage door/gate openers (if not secured), extract addresses and hit your home/apartment. Pretty low risk, but it is possible.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:59 PM
JK Jedi

I am a little less worried about someone stealing crap out of my Jeep than when I am doorless/topless and parked on a hill and some dip shit decided to pop my 6spd stick into neutral and pop the emergency brake.

Quick Reply: Want to leave Jeep outside on the street doorless...how hard is it to steal Mygig?