Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Want to leave Jeep outside on the street doorless...how hard is it to steal Mygig?

Old 09-15-2010, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to leave Jeep outside on the street doorless...how hard is it to steal Mygig?

I recently moved to Charleston, Sc and it's supposed be nice all week here. My friend left his window open on our street and got his garmin stolen...

My question is:

I'm some what worried about my MyGig. How hard is it for someone to jack it? Also does anyone really think someone would steel my $30 cb (also with an NRA sticker on my windshield)?

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2010, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default .

prolly wont be the first to tell you this. If its in the jeep, it can and will be stolen. doorless, topless, fully assembled. jeeps are super easy to break into. if you dont want it stolen, dont keep it in the jeep.

people will steal garbage out of your jeep if they have the chance so they will definitely rip out a piece of electronics.

In terms of your MyGig. I would not be worried. As far as I know, people arent really stealing head units any more, especially factory jobs. I know a would be thief could make some money stealing mygigs, but ive never thought twice about securing it in any way.

you should be fine, but i would take the CB out.

good luck

Last edited by Jason18790; 09-15-2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-15-2010, 09:01 AM
JK Super Freak

not hard. Pop the top of the center console, four bolts, I forget but its either two or three plugs, and it's out.

It could also be a total of 6 bolts. But either way, it is EASY. Being careful not to scratch anything, it takes me all of 10 minutes...including an adult beverage.

If I didn't care about scratching anything, it would be less than a minute I'd imagine.

Here are the directions from mopar: savannajones.com/Assets/Installation/75781.pdf

Last edited by CerOf; 09-15-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Aww man haha
Old 09-15-2010, 09:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replace the factory Phillips head screws with a anti theft type screw and it will make it much harder for them to steal.

Also, get some good insurance that will cover the loss completely if it is stolen.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:38 AM
JK Junkie

i have one of these:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14127_1040_07.htm

so far so good.. im sure someone could still get into if they wanted to... but it would slow them down for sure !
Old 09-15-2010, 09:50 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I know that one way thieves steal radios is to take a hammer and chisel around the bezel area, destroying the center console while not damaging the goods. Regardless of how you secure it (anti-theft screws, etc), that damage will still be done.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Want to leave Jeep outside on the street doorless...how hard is it to steal Mygig?

What do yall think about people stealing the stock radio? In my old car I had an after market radio that I could pop the front of it off so I would never leave it anywhere without locking that up, but I don't see any screws on just the regular radio. Do you think that could be stolen? I don't keep anything else in the jeep, just concerned about that
Old 09-15-2010, 10:15 AM
JK Freak

The stock radio is held in by a few bolts just like the MyGig. But they're much more likely to steal something else rather than the stock radio.

Guys, don't forget to secure your garage door openers and any paperwork with your address, also.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:18 AM
kik
JK Freak

You answered your own question. If you leave it open they will come.

Quick Reply: Want to leave Jeep outside on the street doorless...how hard is it to steal Mygig?