Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Vibration in Steering Column - Dealer Fix

Old 03-16-2010, 01:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration in Steering Column - Dealer Fix

So the last few months I have developed a pretty good vibration in the steering column when I hit some of the local froze heaves. The Jeep itself doesn't move that much but there is a healthy vibration in the steering column. So I took it into the Local Jeep dealer and they said that jeep was upgrading the steering dampener/steering stabilizer (not sure exactly it would be called).

Anyways I took it in today and this is what I left with. Not sure if I am pleased. A little worried that the symptom got treated not the cause.

A little nervous it looks like it has gotten dinged already.

replaced the brackets by the drivers side front wheel also.

Where the center bracket attaches to the axle.

Opinions? Does look correct. I am still learning but something about this just looks and feels wrong. Tomorrow I am going to crawl under the jeep and see if there is anything noticeably off because of this "upgrade"
Old 03-16-2010, 02:31 PM
JK Freak

If you take your JK to the dealer for any DW / steering shimmy, their standard line is "steering stabalizer." If it's totally stock, then I think you can get them to work on it but if it's modified at all, then they'll put a steering stabalizer on it and send you on your way. At least in your case, they put an aftermarket stabalizer on which most of us pay for.

The thing with DW / shimmy, is that the root cause could be any number of items and finding it will make some people go gray.

I'm locked in mortal combat with my steering vibration. I've looked at everything . . . 3 times. I just ordered an intermediate steering shaft as there's definately some play in the steering between the steering box and steering wheel. There was some play in the steering box but I adjusted that out and there's still more in the column. Driving me batty. GL
Old 03-16-2010, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

they replaced my steering stabilizer or whatever and it does it again
Old 03-16-2010, 08:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCJeeper
If you take your JK to the dealer for any DW / steering shimmy, their standard line is "steering stabalizer." If it's totally stock, then I think you can get them to work on it but if it's modified at all, then they'll put a steering stabalizer on it and send you on your way. At least in your case, they put an aftermarket stabalizer on which most of us pay for.

The thing with DW / shimmy, is that the root cause could be any number of items and finding it will make some people go gray.

I'm locked in mortal combat with my steering vibration. I've looked at everything . . . 3 times. I just ordered an intermediate steering shaft as there's definately some play in the steering between the steering box and steering wheel. There was some play in the steering box but I adjusted that out and there's still more in the column. Driving me batty. GL
How did you adjust out the play in the box?

Thats odd that your Jeep dealer installed an aftermarket RC steering stabilzer on there.

Also it looks like it is contacting your drag link.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
How did you adjust out the play in the box?

There'a an adjustment at the top of the steering box. Loosen the locknut and use an allen key to adjust away any play that may have developed over time. DO NOT over tighten, as your on center feel will seem extremely odd and there will be drag on the steering system. My understanding is that this adjustment controls the preload on the steering gear bearing and over time it may slaken a bit. I'm guessing larger tires put more load on all the steering components causing more problems to occur sooner.

I rocked the intermediate shaft back and forth so I could hear the play. Then I slowly turned the allen till it was gone. It took about a 1/8 of a turn maybe a tad more to take up the slack on the steering gear bearing.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:18 PM
JK Jedi

There'a an adjustment at the top of the steering box. Loosen the locknut and use an allen key to adjust away any play that may have developed over time. DO NOT over tighten, as your on center feel will seem extremely odd and there will be drag on the steering system. My understanding is that this adjustment controls the preload on the steering gear bearing and over time it may slaken a bit. I'm guessing larger tires put more load on all the steering components causing more problems to occur sooner.

I rocked the intermediate shaft back and forth so I could hear the play. Then I slowly turned the allen till it was gone. It took about a 1/8 of a turn maybe a tad more to take up the slack on the steering gear bearing.
I was told to never do this while the steering box is mounted in the Jeep. You did it with it mounted in the Jeep with no ill effect?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:50 PM
JK Freak

Ill effects. What were the reasons?

I was on the verge of plunking $500 bucks for a new/used one.

Last edited by mkjeep; 03-18-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: blaclisted
Old 03-18-2010, 08:11 PM
JK Jedi

Ill effects. What were the reasons?

I was on the verge of plunking $500 bucks for a new/used one.
I was asking if you experienced any ill effects from doing this as I was told the box had to be removed from the Jeep to do this..

How many miles on your steering box when it needed adjustment?

Last edited by mkjeep; 03-18-2010 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Vibration in Steering Column - Dealer Fix