Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Vibration in brake pedal when turning

Old 08-09-2012, 12:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration in brake pedal when turning

Noticed it twice when going through right hand turns at 20-30mph. It is a rapid vibration that feels like ABS/traction control kicking in. Feels like the power drops off, but I don't see any illumination on the dash. The Jeep has had a 2.5"BB lift and 35's for about a year, but I didn't worry about centering the steering wheel until about a month or so ago (2,000 miles after the lift installation).

Since the steering wasn't centered the ESP/BAS was always on so I guess this problem may have never showed up until now? Would the ESP/BAS illuminate if it was activated?
Old 08-09-2012, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would think it is your ABS kicking in due to the fact that the tires are turning at a different rate/speed, because the outside tire has to turn faster then the inside tire while making a turn.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:15 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

Originally Posted by airforce26yrs
I would think it is your ABS kicking in due to the fact that the tires are turning at a different rate/speed, because the outside tire has to turn faster then the inside tire while making a turn.
That's what it's supposed to do, that's why we invented differentials.

It's probably the ABS, but I'm not sure why it'd do that. I've read a lot on here that our computers don't like it when we change stuff, so it could be the lift and tires. Try centering your steering wheel. I'm no expert, but that seems to be a common answer
Old 08-09-2012, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

It's the traction control (ESP), mine only does one or two quick flashes. At first I didn't see flashing but since it happened to me on the same turn everyday I began to look for it and sure enough it would blink.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

The aev procal module should fix that
Old 08-09-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Why are you braking while turning? Unless coming to a yield you should accelerate during a turn. My brake pedal vibrates braking in a straight line due to knobby tires.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. I'm usually braking because it is a sharp turn at an intersection and I forget when going between my cars and the Jeep that there different reactions to sharp curves, lol.

The problem doesn't show up real often and really I have to be going pretty extreme for it to start. After suffering with death wobble I get paranoid when the Jeep does any kind of shimmy so I had to ask.

I'll look into the procal, probably needed a problem before I convinced myself I needed it.

Last edited by jeepin_tiger; 08-09-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem. Fully stock JKU. It happens when breaking on left or right turns when pulling into parking lots. It's more common when there's an incline into the parking lot. No dash lights for me. It feels like ABS but it can't be normal.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:41 AM
JK Newbie

Same on my stock 2010 jku sport (17 inch wheels, 32 inch sra's). Happens once in a while when I take a hard right and apply light brakes. It definitely feels like ABS, but no lights. Perhaps because it's so fast?
Old 09-23-2012, 08:52 AM
JK Newbie

I've got a 10' Sahara and it does the same thing.

Quick Reply: Vibration in brake pedal when turning