Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Very squeaky clutch pedal

Old 01-18-2016, 03:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Very squeaky clutch pedal

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. I've searched and didn't find a resolution. I've got a 2010. My clutch pedal has become very squeaky. Like a rusty old barn door. Very loud. I got into the wheel well and wd-40'd the linkage that goes through the rubber grommet and through the firewall. It seems to make a small difference for a day or two. Might be in my head too. It also seems as though clutch movement is slightly inhibited by this too. Feels like if you were pulling a dry metal rod through a pair of Rubbermaid gloves while holding on to it with said gloves!

Anyone else had this trouble? Ideas?
Old 01-18-2016, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Do you get the noise when you press the clutch? I had a similar noise and it was when I'd press the clutch. Dealer couldn't replicate it but said grease on the end of the slave cylinder would fix it. The "fix" worked for 2 minutes and was back before I left the dealer lot. I replaced the slave myself and the noise stayed. I finally replaced the clutch and everything inside (throwout bearing) and I don't recall the noise anymore.

Tob's are typically noisy for the JK, I'm yet to find one that's quiet for a long period of time. I replaced mine at 130k and it was far overdue. The tob felt almost seized when I got it out. It was not smooth at all, it was extremely gritty.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:34 PM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this a long time ago, could never find it and gave up after many dealer trips etc... At 50k miles had brake fluid flushed and filled and it was like new..... Minus the rattle from the throw out bearing. My guess, and the shops, was somehow a little air got in a line. Not sure if that's possible, but it never creaked again.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Cuv
I had this a long time ago, could never find it and gave up after many dealer trips etc... At 50k miles had brake fluid flushed and filled and it was like new..... Minus the rattle from the throw out bearing. My guess, and the shops, was somehow a little air got in a line. Not sure if that's possible, but it never creaked again.
Hmmm. Wonder if a brake flush would do the trick.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:46 PM
JK Freak

When you say the tob is making noise. Is that a clunk? Or squeak? Mine is definitely a creaking squeak when I push and release the clutch
Old 01-18-2016, 09:01 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

https://youtu.be/RXNtXLugQmU

That was my squeak that the dealer couldn't solve.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
https://youtu.be/RXNtXLugQmU That was my squeak that the dealer couldn't solve.
Ahh. Not the same I'm dealing with. Mine is that loud though.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Grab a similar video and let's see if we can nail it down.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:37 PM
JK Freak

I have no idea what this video is. But it's an old CJ. My pedal sounds a little closer to this. Sounds to me like he's just pushing it down and letting it out really fast to demonstrate but it's a good example of what my pedal sounds like.

http://youtu.be/WlKKfEpcccg
Old 01-20-2016, 07:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default clutch slave cyl

most likely mine creaked replaced it with a crown brand and by the time i got home no more creak or squeek never again . some tried telling me it was bad clutch bad tob , fork, and 1200.00 to repair it lol ahhh 58.00 + 50.00 labor = $108.00 my jeep only had 20.000 miles i new it wasnt my clutch (silent ever since) 21,000 miles later still silent

it can be a hard job to bleed it in a newer jeeps if air gets in during replacement, but if you get someone who knows thier sh#t its a ten min job i think they crimp the line so air cant get in somehow & top of the brake fluid/clutch canister . Honestly it took then 10 to 15 min and itwas replaced . and i have the one that came out .

just need a can of brake fluid and the crown Crown Automotive 52060133AD - Clutch Slave Cylinder for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK & 08-12 Liberty KK - Quadratec

the a/c drain line drains out and onto the slave and weeps in there when a/c gets used in summer, you can reroute that drain line with a short clear tube , just slip it over that short tube sticking out and route it away from there
* make sure they grease the end good before putting it back in
its worth the try rather than tear into tranny

you can feel it if someone pushes the clutch and you put your hand on the slave while they pump it .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1224 (2).jpg
Views:	1089
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	635074  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 01-20-2016 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Very squeaky clutch pedal