Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Valve cover and PCV removal

Old 07-02-2024, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by IIQII
Good deal, thank you for the info. I was looking at the XTool and the new offerings from Launch. Haven't decided what to pull the trigger on yet.

Know what you mean about the used car lot, between me and my wife there are 5 cars. Add the kid, brother's family and parents and ya.... there's a lot.
On the Wranglerforum.com website, lots of people swear by the OBD JScan (JScan ? OBD JScan ? Mobile Jeep, Chrysler, Dodge Diagnostic Tool) app that you run on your iPhone or Android phone, paired to a simple OBD2 scanner. The app was a $25 purchase and, supposedly, can be used to adjust all sorts of things, like the TPMS set points, clear your codes, etc. The app gets paired to a single vehicle, but if the JK is the only one that you need it for...before you spend $600 on a dedicated scanner, you might want to give it a shot, as you'll only be out maybe $60 max.
Old 07-02-2024, 05:53 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I have Jscan, and I have nothing but good things to say about the app and the support behind it. That said, tied to a VIN and certainly not a professional tool. I have a Blue Driver too and the jscan is both better and faster than that thing. The Xtool is really a tool you could run a shop on. It is extremely useful to have something with complete bi-directional communication. If you need 1 scanner for a specific vehicle, Jscan is great. If you want a scanner that is going to work with all vehicles for years to come, the real scanners can't be beat. Having said that, they are scanners and NOT programmers. In that sense the jscan is 99% perfect for most people giving programming ability, a great scan tool, and access to a plethora of live data in addition to a lot of functions the bigger scanners will do for all vehicles. Just depends what you're use will be over how many vehicles. Out of the 6 vehicles we have in the family, my jscan is great for the jeep, and worthless for the other 5.

My 1 gripe about Xtool D8, and likely anything that is similar, is that every time you turn it on there are all kinds of updates for various vehicle makes/models you likely don't care about.

Quick Reply: Valve cover and PCV removal