Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Valve cover and PCV removal

Old 06-25-2024, 03:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Angry Valve cover and PCV removal

OK so a rant....

Is there anyone else that would like to meet the engineer who put that PCV in the location it is in and give 'em a sock in the nose? I mean the wiring harness and other lines make the top Torx screw impossible to get at. I am working on mine right now and the bottom wasn't too bad but still a pain, but the top... It is in there tight.

The Torx is a pain, don't use a hex head that wrench or standard socket may be able to grab onto.

Oh well I will get it at some point.

Rant off....
Old 06-25-2024, 04:49 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

yup, it sux. are you using a small bit driver and torx bit? that is what I've always used.
Old 06-25-2024, 09:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
yup, it sux. are you using a small bit driver and torx bit? that is what I've always used.
I have a small palm ratchet. Seems like someone got happy tightening the top screw.
Old 07-01-2024, 03:35 AM
JK Newbie

For anyone working on the valve covers and especially the right bank and PCV valve, here are a couple tools that may help.

The first is this finger ratchet. With a Torx bit inserted it gets good purchase on the screw, but the top one on mine was really tight. I dont have the strength in my wrist to break it loose (broke both arms at the wrists in a motorcycle accident and have plates and pins in both along with nerve damage).

The other is this small articulated ratchet. The end with a Torx bit popped the tight top screw quickly and made removal a breeze.

Hopefully this save some people some aggravation with the PCV valve.

Old 07-01-2024, 11:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Can you provide a link to the articulated ratchet wrench? Looks like that's the tool for the job!
Old 07-02-2024, 03:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Grand Umpah
Can you provide a link to the articulated ratchet wrench? Looks like that's the tool for the job!
Sure,

This is the one I bought.

EZRED 4S04 Micro Combo Dual Ratchet Socket with 1/4" Square Drive & Magnetic Bit Drive
Old 07-02-2024, 06:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Handy tool to have. they are sure proud of it based on the price! I have a couple of those finger ratchets and thought they'd be so useful, but I never find myself using them. This little flex ratchet would be useful getting the rear torx bolts on the auto transmission pan too.
Old 07-02-2024, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Handy tool to have. they are sure proud of it based on the price! I have a couple of those finger ratchets and thought they'd be so useful, but I never find myself using them. This little flex ratchet would be useful getting the rear torx bolts on the auto transmission pan too.
Yup, they are a little pricey. It did make the job easier. That along with the fact that I know I know I will use it later makes me not pay too much attention to the cost.Being old and lazy with a wife that doesn't care when I buy tools or my hobbies helps too.

I am with you on those finger/palm ratchets. Didn't do what I needed and cant think of other things they may be needed for, but at least I have them. I am sure some time will come along where they may end up being useful. Both mine are manuals, so I dont know about the auto transmission pan. If this tool and link helps anyone working on that or the PCV valve I am going to be pretty happy that posting made their projects a little easier.

I can now move further along in my project. I have a base code reader, but think I will upgrade to a much better unit. The cost on those can get interesting, but since I have the 2 JK and a couple other vehicles I am sure it will end up paying for itself.
Old 07-02-2024, 10:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by IIQII
I can now move further along in my project. I have a base code reader, but think I will upgrade to a much better unit. The cost on those can get interesting, but since I have the 2 JK and a couple other vehicles I am sure it will end up paying for itself.
I recently bought the XTool D8. It wasn't cheap, but I practically have a used car lot with all the family vehicles and there is always something that needs to be fixed. It's hard to really trust what a lot of these YouTubers say in reviews about the various things they're pushing, but I 100% trust The Car Care Nut and his opinions. I have always yerned for more of a "professional" type scanner but was never willing to spend "professional" type money on one. I can say that in the time I've had this tool I've programmed keys for 2 vehicles, and programmed TPMS sensors on 2 toyotas and those alone have paid for the scanner! Damn yota dealers want $150 ea to program those and they are different than any other manufacture out there. Damn 5 mins of work and I was done! Anyhow, I really like the XTool D8. not sure worth the extra money over D7 device, but it's been really useful for under $600.

**i paid the $150 to program a new TPMS at the dealer on wife's 4Runner. Rolled in with 3 working, 3 hrs later roll out with only 3 working cuz in the process they killed another old one. I was irrate, and they didn't care.

Last edited by resharp001; 07-02-2024 at 10:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
IIQII (07-03-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

I recently bought the XTool D8. It wasn't cheap, but I practically have a used car lot with all the family vehicles and there is always something that needs to be fixed. It's hard to really trust what a lot of these YouTubers say in reviews about the various things they're pushing, but I 100% trust The Car Care Nut and his opinions. I have always yerned for more of a "professional" type scanner but was never willing to spend "professional" type money on one. I can say that in the time I've had this tool I've programmed keys for 2 vehicles, and programmed TPMS sensors on 2 toyotas and those alone have paid for the scanner! Damn yota dealers want $150 ea to program those and they are different than any other manufacture out there. Damn 5 mins of work and I was done! Anyhow, I really like the XTool D8. not sure worth the extra money over D7 device, but it's been really useful for under $600.

**i paid the $150 to program a new TPMS at the dealer on wife's 4Runner. Rolled in with 3 working, 3 hrs later roll out with only 3 working cuz in the process they killed another old one. I was irrate, and they didn't care.
Good deal, thank you for the info. I was looking at the XTool and the new offerings from Launch. Haven't decided what to pull the trigger on yet.

Know what you mean about the used car lot, between me and my wife there are 5 cars. Add the kid, brother's family and parents and ya.... there's a lot.

Last edited by IIQII; 07-02-2024 at 11:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Valve cover and PCV removal