Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Upper Oil Pan Installation help

Old 04-15-2017, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper Oil Pan Installation help

I've been searching for days, and all the write-ups I've found are for the 3.8L engine, which is a different pan than the 3.6L design and apparently starts leaking eventually, haha. The upper pan on the 3.6L is a one-piece design without the "transmission dust cover".

I can't find anything for torque specs for the 3.6L upper oil pan. Can I assume the main pan bolts are the same?

Mopar Part #: 68078951AC

Any help is MUCH appreciated!
Old 04-17-2017, 01:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Possibly not the same.
From something I downloaded from this forum:
Oil Pan ¼-20 Bolts 84 in. lbs.
Oil Pan 5/16-18 Bolts 132 in. lbs.
NOTE: for the oil pan specs, they are inch/lbs, not foot/lbs
Old 04-17-2017, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DarksideSix
I've been searching for days, and all the write-ups I've found are for the 3.8L engine, which is a different pan than the 3.6L design and apparently starts leaking eventually, haha. The upper pan on the 3.6L is a one-piece design without the "transmission dust cover".

I can't find anything for torque specs for the 3.6L upper oil pan. Can I assume the main pan bolts are the same?

Mopar Part #: 68078951AC

Any help is MUCH appreciated!
As for the leak there is a sealant that is "required or it may result in a leak"... Mopar Threebond Engine RTV though I'm not convinced its the only sealant that is compatible it is what Jeep would tell you is needed.

For upper pan (from ADDIY): install upper pan flush to the bell housing, secure pan with 19 M8 bolts (finger tight); install four transmission to engine pan bolts torque to 55NM (41 ft lbs); torque previous M8 bolts to 25NM (18 ft lbs); install 2 M6 bolts to rear oil seal retainer flange and torque to 12NM (106 in lbs); then comes plugs, line retainers, lower pan, etc. Hope this helps.

-Brad
Old 04-17-2017, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by toolow262
As for the leak there is a sealant that is "required or it may result in a leak"... Mopar Threebond Engine RTV though I'm not convinced its the only sealant that is compatible it is what Jeep would tell you is needed.

For upper pan (from ADDIY): install upper pan flush to the bell housing, secure pan with 19 M8 bolts (finger tight); install four transmission to engine pan bolts torque to 55NM (41 ft lbs); torque previous M8 bolts to 25NM (18 ft lbs); install 2 M6 bolts to rear oil seal retainer flange and torque to 12NM (106 in lbs); then comes plugs, line retainers, lower pan, etc. Hope this helps.

-Brad
Thanks!

Last edited by DarksideSix; 04-17-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Upper Oil Pan Installation help