Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Upgrading Diff Ratio

Old 10-07-2009, 07:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Diff Ratio

Hi All,

I have a 2009 JK with the stock Dana 44 and 30 axles (3.21 ratio). I am contemplating having the ratio upgraded to 3.73 or 4.11 at my next service. Just wondering what parts I would need? I obviously need ring and pinion gears and also gaskets for the covers, but is there anything else?

Your advice is appreciated.

Swordfish.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:43 PM
JK Super Freak

why? are you running stock tires? if you went up a tire size IE 33s or 35s
then I could see changing gears. just to go up in a gear size for the hell of it, will do nothing but make you gas milage worse. Not to mention you will have to change the carrier in the D30. The shortest gear you can put in the one you have is a 3.54. Now if you are going up in tire size your gonna want to go to 4.88s or even 5.13s like I did. but I am auto so the 4.88s will be good for up to 35s. any bigger than that . go with the 5.13s or 5.38s. so with all that said. "If your gonna hit the wall Hit it Hard!!!"

P.S. if you do a swap you will need the ring and pinions, an install kit for each respective axle, some cheap diff oil, and some RTV sealant for the covers. and a deep wallet!

Last edited by woodweavil; 10-07-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Yes I am running stock tires, but in my opinion the stock gearing has been made overly tall to reduce fuel consumption/noise/emissions/etc. I find it frustrating to have to change down to first around city corners.

I would just like a little more poke at idle and low speeds, and a slightly better crawl ratio.

Does this seem unreasonable or am I just a crappy driver?
Old 10-07-2009, 08:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by swordfish
Yes I am running stock tires, but in my opinion the stock gearing has been made overly tall to reduce fuel consumption/noise/emissions/etc. I find it frustrating to have to change down to first around city corners.

I would just like a little more poke at idle and low speeds, and a slightly better crawl ratio.

Does this seem unreasonable or am I just a crappy driver?

I wouldnt know about the driver thing LOL. but if you are just looking for a little more umf!! then by all means go up just remember this. doing a gear swap is expensive. here in the states anyway, I dont know about down under but my assumption would be still expensive. So if you are planning to up size your tires in the future , make preperations for it now and go 4,88s and get a tuner to reset your computer,
Old 10-07-2009, 08:21 PM
JK Newbie

Well if it's expensive there it'll be more here...dammit. I have to use genuine parts too to maintain the warranty.

I thought, perhaps naively, that I could get all the parts for under $1k US and then maybe a few hundred $$ for fitting. Does that seem unreasonable?

Guess I'll hold off for a while in that case.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:26 PM
JK Jedi

yeah 1000 for parts and 1000 for labor, Id go 4.88 incase you want to go to 35s
Old 10-07-2009, 08:32 PM
JK Super Freak

actually the parts are the cheap things the install is the bitch
Old 10-07-2009, 08:43 PM
JK Newbie

Ok guys, thanks for your input. So if I have it right I need front and rear pinion and ring gears, a carrier and the gaskets. Is that all? What about the other parts (carrier internals, etc)?

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:50 PM
JK Newbie

That stuff is more expensive for you that drive on the wrong side of the road.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:42 PM
JK Jedi

The kit cost 160 here each diff. plus oil need 4 Qts synthetic 10 each

Quick Reply: Upgrading Diff Ratio