Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

'upgrade' to GPS head unit

Old 09-24-2019, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 'upgrade' to GPS head unit

I have a 2013 Unlimited Sport and it has the Uconnect 130 w/satellite radio. I'd like to upgrade this unit on a touch screen GPS unit.

Any suggestions on units with decent maps and radio?

Old 09-24-2019, 09:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Crutchfield and do your research....Look for Double Din radio with gps and anything else you want.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Any unit with Android Auto / Apple Car Play (depending on your phone), then run the Maps app from the phone. Beats paying for map updates.

Unless you don't have a smart phone like the last guy that posted this topic? Or you just want to pay for maps...
Old 09-25-2019, 03:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Any unit with Android Auto / Apple Car Play (depending on your phone), then run the Maps app from the phone. Beats paying for map updates.

Unless you don't have a smart phone like the last guy that posted this topic? Or you just want to pay for maps...
Thank you. How responsive is the unit/maps when running via Apple Car Play?
Old 09-25-2019, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a couple years old Pioneer AVIC NEX unit. I debated going the Android Auto route but I do really enjoy having standalone map function on my deck. Streaming Pandora and tethering for the kids' electronics on road trips puts enough stress on my little talkbox. Put in a maps push too? No thanks.

The newer NEX units do have AA/CP but the built in nav has been very reliable and you do get a year of free map update and it's only like 6 bucks for POI updates.

(I also love having my navigation icon that is a JKU... so there's that)

Last edited by BoredKender; 09-25-2019 at 12:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jeep_Bandit (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019, 12:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep_Bandit
Thank you. How responsive is the unit/maps when running via Apple Car Play?
I use Android, but I'll assume they function about the same - and with the qualification that I have no idea what differences in functionality there might be between individual units or different mfg's. (I have a Pioneer 2330 NEX). But, mine works just fine with music and maps up, usually Pandora, sometimes iHeart. A quick screen touch switches back and forth if I want to see the music source. But honestly, I don't use Maps all that often as I don't really need to constantly see the same roads I drive every single day. It gets turned on when I want it, not as a default.

Haven't tried the voice commands, though, so don't know how well that works, or if it will switch songs/sources behind the scenes while maps are displayed. (actually I'm not very observant and just recently noticed that the little microphone was installed on top of the steering column. Only been there like 6 months now...)

I figure that if I ever decide that I want non-phone generated Maps, I can always add that module to the unit later. But for my use, no issues.
The following users liked this post:
Jeep_Bandit (09-25-2019)

Quick Reply: 'upgrade' to GPS head unit