Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Up and Over things - alignment ?

Old 01-03-2007, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Up and Over things - alignment ?

Ok, so I'm not the most savvy when it comes to these types of things...

Anyhow, coming to the Jeep by way of a car with no ground clearance, I now have irrestible urges to drive over things instead of around them. I'm like a giddy kid when I see the chance. My wife thinks I'm an idiot

I'm wondering how this will effect my wheel alignment and therefore my tire life/wear. Does going straight at the obstacle make a difference vs. an angle?

Do I just need to be more dilligent about having this checked or is there some DIY method to see if an alignment adjustment is necessary (prior to excessive tire wear) so that I don't get the screw-gee by the auto shop each time I show up? Or am I getting "bent out of shape" for nutin?

Any thoughts to help educate the village idiot would be appreciated.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:52 AM
JK Freak

The key thing you can do to make your Jeep/ tires last longer is control your speed. Always maintain 55mph on all obstacles .

Alright now that that's out of my system. Approach obstacles as slowly as you can. Hills are straight on items. Holes smaller than your vehicle, like ditches & rock crevases are usually crossed at an angle that lets one tire hit it at a time. Hope this helps. I don't usally concern myself with alignment unles it manifests itself in way of tire wear or vibrations.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:35 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Due to the new steering setup that is present on JK's, you will not need to get a toe-in alignment after lifting your Jeep. You will however need to recenter your steering wheel but that's pretty easy to do yourself. Depending on how high you go, you may need to buy adjustable upper control arms so that you can have your caster angle set but that's about it. As far as tire wear goes, since your toe-in will not change, neither will the amount of your tire wear.

Regarding obsticals, I guess it depends on how big it is, how deep it is, how tall it is, the shape of it is.... need I say, it really depends but in most cases, approaching an obstical at an angle will allow you to use your tires to climb up and over them one tire at a time which will keep things like your bumper or differential from getting hung up on it.

Also, with bigger tires (especially if they are mudders) rotate them often and make sure they aren't over inflated. That'll keep em quite on the highway and prevent them from wearing out in the center of the tread prematurely.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have the feeling that he is talking about the mall scenario. he might drive over the parking spot curb instead of going around it...
Old 01-04-2007, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

Hey, I love driving over parking spot curbs! That's why they put them there! Little mini Helicopter Pads....

I'm just chiming in because I think that WOL gave a great answer, but I think all the guy is wondering is if his stock jeep will have alignment issues by driving over stuff. I think that the answer WOL gave is just a little too tech for the first timer. Don't wanna scare 'em off!

NewJK, your alignment's gonna be perfectly fine. They're made to do just that sort of stuff. Taking an obstacle at an angle's not gonna affect anything other than your ability to overcome that obstacle. Alignment is pretty much set from the factory, and the only way to change it is to do serious suspension modification. If you're worried about breaking something, then I suggest you pal up with somebody that can show you first hand.
Regardless, go slow enough that you can hear if something breaks, and you'll be doing just fine. I'm sure you've already figured that out.
Don't mean to seem patronizing, if that's how I've come across.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

I truly appreciate the input. Having the technical and not so technical answer to my question is helpful.

Not being a car guy all my life, I always thought the ocassional curbing, etc. was the reason for misalignment and therefore significant premature tire wear,etc. Guess i've been the tire industry's best sucker for a while now.

However, based on the responses here, seems to me rolling over things (be it mall curbs, small children or large rubicon trail rocks) I shant worry to much with alignment unless I notice abnormal tire wear.

Yes, jsherman, my initial question about going over things was directly related to the concrete jungle that I inhabit. However, as I learn to live with this awesome rig and find places to wheel away from the upscale shopping mall and .25 acre new home sights aka muddin holes, you can continue to assume that I'm not as wet behind the ears as others.

Wladziu, no patronizing takin, that's the straightforward answer I was looking for. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:06 PM
JK Jedi Master

watch curbs.. I crawled over one and hit my lower control arm bracket,,,

It bent a little bit... I was'nt mad..

My wife sure was pissed...
Old 01-04-2007, 10:51 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am the same way. No more backing out of parking spaces. I look for parking spaces with the curb in front. My family just smiles and rolls their heads. My son cracked me up when he first got his TJ. He was at school and calls me, "Can I go over curbs with this". He was jockeying for a better parking spot. Training for the Rubicon trail.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:55 AM
JK Newbie

I had my 94 for twelve years. I never had to align the front end in all those years, and you wouldn't believe some of the things I ran over. :confused:

Last edited by Dutch; 01-06-2007 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:18 AM
JK Newbie

You bent an LCA on a street curb? And admitted it? Boooo, Mr. Moderator!

Plus don't tear up new home sites. Makes us look bad, newJK.

Quick Reply: Up and Over things - alignment ?