Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Unlimited has Turbo lag?

Old 10-03-2009, 04:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unlimited has Turbo lag?

Hi this has been bugging me for some time I have an 08 diesel unlimited and when pulling away from junctions there seems to be a delay in throttle response. Could this be just poor throttle response, turbo lag or maby the ECU needs to be reflashed by the Dealer. Just wondering if anyone else with the CRD has the same problem.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think all, even gas, JKs have a lag from the electronic throttle. When I first drove a JK I thought something was wrong because I was used to the TJ 4.0L's cable throttle with instant response. The JK has a second lag, which seems weird when you're not used to it. Now I don't even notice.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Newbie

Default lag

The lag is about 1sec but it feels a lot longer when trying to get out of a busy junction. I thought it may just be a diesel thing. I also had a petrol JK and don't recall the same problem. I have to say I prefer the diesel for wheeling just let it tick over and even with the stock suspension it will pass a lot of other rigs on the trail.
Old 10-03-2009, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Almost all deisels have a lag the only diesel that has a very small lag is the BMW 123 diesel. This engine has a second turbo which comes in a few seconds to reduce the lag before the main turbo takes over.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi
Almost all deisels have a lag the only diesel that has a very small lag is the BMW 123 diesel. This engine has a second turbo which comes in a few seconds to reduce the lag before the main turbo takes over.
My 2001 VW Golf TDI has no noticeable lag. The boost gauge (and feel) reflects very closely what my right foot does.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish my JK had turbo lag.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atl JK
I wish my JK had turbo lag.
No kidding. We keep praying for turbo issues or even having to buy 16 spark plugs for a hemi. Was this thread started to remind us here in the US that we are missing something? Wish I could call AEV and ask for turbo problems.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

No turbo lag here. It affects automatics more due to the torque converter needing to wind-up a little. But then zzzzzzz-oom! Almost like a rubber band effect in the turbos I've driven (petrol and diesel). I think this is what's referred to as the "torque multiplier effect" of an auto trans and one of the reasons many folks are converted to them for off roading. I'll stick to the manual trans for now, though, as I love its engine braking effect.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, I only wish I could complain of turbo anything on my piss poor U.S. spec 3.7 v-6.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3.8l V6. It could be worse though, we could have the POS 3.7l.

Quick Reply: Unlimited has Turbo lag?