Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Uneven brake pad wear

Old 01-18-2010, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven brake pad wear

So I just checked my brake pads after rotating my tires and I noticed that the rear pads are worn down to the metal almost but then front two look brand new. I'm pretty sure this isn't normal since the front pads usually take the brunt of stopping. I was wondering if anyone knows whats wrong. 2007 jeep 2dr sahara with 25k miles. Oh I also get some serious wobbling when braking hard downhill from 50mph, possible warped rotor I assume.

Thanks
Old 01-18-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I changed the rears in mine at 18,000m, pretty common, think it has alot to do with the esp/bld and also the fact that the rear pads are half the size of the fronts.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Seems to be the norm with the JK. It was suggested that the rear brakes wear faster due to their size and the ESP and other electrical influences. I still have my original pads at 43K miles. I guess I have been lucky.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Disable your ESP and that should fix your problem. I hear it happens to a lot of people. If fact I need to check mine.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

wow thats pretty weird I would have thought on a heavy vehicle like the jeep there would be a lot more forward bias on the brakes...im glad its a common occurance i guess. thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-19-2010, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just rotated my tires last night and I need to get a set of pads for the rear. Mine has 47k on it. A lot of newer vehicles with rear disk wear out quick like this. My wifes GMC Yukon and her old Ford Expedition would usually wear 2 rear sets to one front brake change.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

im guessing maybe since the rear rotors arent vented its causing premature brake wear. I wonder if theres anyway we can set the brakes to have more forward bias.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:04 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting. My friend's stock JK just needed brakes done at 18k. Mine has $24k and I checked the rears after hearing noises and see that the rears are very low on the leading edges. Also, I pulled the rotor and found dirt in the parking brake hub and those are kinda low.

So I'll replace the rear pads.

What brands are people using that may help performance and last?
Old 01-21-2010, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

can the calipers handle vented rotors and normal sized pads for the rear?
Old 01-24-2010, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

The brake balance is dynamic. It changes based on a lot of variables and probably couldn't be tweaked without a lot of software work or expensive hardware. The cost of either one of those could buy a lot of pads.

For several years cars have been more complicated than people give them credit for.

The rear pads wear more quickly than the front, even more if you get into the ESP regularly.

I guess the pads could be made thicker and the calipers redesigned, but Jeep probably used something they had already or they had other reasons.

My JK stops really well. I don't think tweaking this system could make it better, and I especially wouldn't sacrifice stopping power for pad life.

As a point of reference, I've seen new Mustangs at the endurance races go through rear pads very quickly when the car wasn't handling right or it was wet. One driver had a style that used rear pads at about twice the rate of the other guys. The cars have the same type of system that applies rear brakes as required.

I'm happy with the technology and the system. I think back to my rear drum braked ZJ that could barely stop itself and smile

Quick Reply: Uneven brake pad wear