Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Uh-oh! Stripped Screw?

Old 05-14-2007, 01:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts
Default Uh-oh! Stripped Screw?

I was just out pulling the doors, roof etc on my JK and when I went to install the Mopar outside mirror one of the two original screws that are removed would not back out more than about three turns. I finally got it to tighten up, and will drive without the mirror, but I was wondering if anyone has the quick/dirty on how to get to the backside of this screw? It seems the nutplate has broken free. :sad:
Old 05-14-2007, 01:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GOt any pics?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_)
GOt any pics?
Sure!

Old 05-17-2007, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uh oh... that doesn't sound good. I have had my Mopar mirror bracket on and off 4 or 5 times and haven't had that problem yet. I did notice in the instructions they are specific about only removing one screw, attaching bracket with first screw, removing 2nd screw, rotating bracket and attach 2nd screw. I thought this was 2 keep the windshield from slipping/dropping down if both screws were removed at the same time. Maybe this was to cover for a weak nutplate design.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any way to access the back of that with the windshield folder? Maybe someone that has flipped it can answer.

Quick Reply: Uh-oh! Stripped Screw?