Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Uconnect and iphone 5 problems

Old 05-03-2013, 01:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by David-T-71
I am having the same "skipping" issue with audio from my iPhone. 2013 with 430 RHB. At first it wasn't that big of a deal, but it is becoming rather annoying. I have deleted and re paired the phone several times, I tried turning the wifi off but still the music skips every so often. Uconnect tech support told me that the system was operating as designed. I hardly think that skipping was designed. Bluetooth streaming works perfectly with every other device that I have ever connected it to, so this is clearly a Uconnect issue. Very frustrating that much older vehicles it works great, but in my brand new Jeep the quality is this bad.
I had the same.problem with my iPhone. With my 2010 patriot rhr and my 2011 rhb. Switched to Samsung galaxy phones and works perfectly. More like a phone problem not a jeep problem.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

By "other devices" that you connect to the phone, are you referring to BT earbuds, speakers etc? If so, then it needs to be understood that those devices aren't doing anything more than receiving the BT audio. A hands free car kit is constantly talking to the phone as well as streaming audio. There are several types of electrical interference that will cause BT packets to be dropped or lost. If you have WI-FI turned on, this can also cause an issue.
If the problem is with Uconnect, then why don't I have the same issue with my Samsung NOTE @ or my wife's Galaxy. I have a buddy that has the HTC one X that doesn't do it either. So should Uconnect try to fix teh APPLE issue and possibly have problems withh the phones that it works well with or should APPLE do something about it?

Originally Posted by David-T-71
I am having the same "skipping" issue with audio from my iPhone. 2013 with 430 RHB. At first it wasn't that big of a deal, but it is becoming rather annoying. I have deleted and re paired the phone several times, I tried turning the wifi off but still the music skips every so often. Uconnect tech support told me that the system was operating as designed. I hardly think that skipping was designed. Bluetooth streaming works perfectly with every other device that I have ever connected it to, so this is clearly a Uconnect issue. Very frustrating that much older vehicles it works great, but in my brand new Jeep the quality is this bad.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've noticed that in my 2013 the uconnect turns on as soon as you unlock the door w/ the key fob or use remote start. The uconnect starts to automatically pair with your phone and the key does not need to be in the ignition for this to happen. My guess is that this is intentional so that the transition and pairing time is smoother. It also doesn't turn off immediately after you lock the doors. I have been on a phone call with my iphone, gotten out of the jeep, locked it and the phone wouldn't switch over to the headset until i manually selected to use the phone as the source. The iphone still saw the uconnect bluetooth when the car was turned off and locked. It seems like it does shut down after a certain amount of time obv to not kill the battery.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

So many great responses. I had forgotten that I started this thread lol. I definitely need to re-pair my phone just in case that helps. Love that I was told some BS about the software not being updated. So thanks for the help.

Another issue I have with the system is actually answering a call. Uconnect takes a long time to get through the whole process of telling me who is calling that usually I've already pressed the phone button and answered the call so both me and the caller have to wait for Uconnect to finish telling us that I have a call. With the 2013, is there anyway to turn off the notifications? I read somewhere else on the forum about something under setup but I had no options located under setup about changing notifications. If not, is there combination of buttons I can press to skip the prompt and just answer. I've tried picking up the call from my iPhone 5 but that doesn't help.

Thanks!
Old 05-03-2013, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

there's a series of voice commands you need to give it to turn off the prompts. Hit the uconnect steering wheel button and when you hear the beep say, "uconnect setup" and then when you get into the settings say, "confirmation prompts off". The exact wording i'm using may be off but that's the gist of it. That will only turn off about half the confirmation prompts but it definitely helps. You can look at your screen to see the exact wording of what you need to say
Old 05-03-2013, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

In my '11 Unlimited, I've found that the Bluetooth only skips with my iphone if something is displayed on the screen. Works great until I receive a text or email. Hit the button, screen goes blank, and it works fine again.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by VoodooChild
In my '11 Unlimited, I've found that the Bluetooth only skips with my iphone if something is displayed on the screen. Works great until I receive a text or email. Hit the button, screen goes blank, and it works fine again.
Mine was the same way with the iPhone. With the android phones no problems. Even my old rooted HTC hero.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:57 AM
JK Newbie

Just as a point of reference the BT connection is convenient but the sound quality is much less than connecting via USB or 1/8" audio input. Bluetooth's sound quality is not close to CD quality if you listen to a song this way and then plug in on way or the either you will be amazed. If you save high quality audio files you would be best to plug in.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

your Jeep is a 2012, do you know the build date? If it was built prior to 1-2012, then there is a SW update available that enhances the streaming audio quality.

Originally Posted by slimpickins
Just as a point of reference the BT connection is convenient but the sound quality is much less than connecting via USB or 1/8" audio input. Bluetooth's sound quality is not close to CD quality if you listen to a song this way and then plug in on way or the either you will be amazed. If you save high quality audio files you would be best to plug in.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

For the 2011 vehicles, there is a TSB (08-19-12) that will take care of that issue. It also will fix the issues where you might plug in an Iphone or iPod and it shows "error occurred".

Originally Posted by VoodooChild

Quick Reply: Uconnect and iphone 5 problems