Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Uconnect and iphone 5 problems

Old 04-09-2013, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uconnect and iphone 5 problems

So I just got my 2013 jku Sahara with the 430n and uconnect. At first it seems like my iPhone 5 paired well. But now I realize there are 2 problems.

The most annoying is that the phone doesn't auto connect when I start my car. The radio switches back to regular radio and I have to push the phone button several times on the wheel before it says connected. Isn't this supposed to be automatic once I start the car? My phone is set as priority 1.

Also, While playing music through Bluetooth sometimes it sounds like the track is skipping, like CDs uses to skip in cars. These songs don't skip with my headphones or my bluetooth home stereo so it has to be something with the 430n.

I've been looking on the forum for help but can't seem to find anything solid. Thanks!!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say start over on the start up issue.. Delete your phone and reset the whole thing..

As for the Bluetooth, my 12' does the same thing and every single one I have been in is the same way.. I wrote it off to aliens... I have honestly heard if there is anything you can do. If I do get annoyed enough, I just switch to my iPod hooked up to the USB...

Bullfrog
Old 04-10-2013, 12:56 PM
JK Newbie

So I called uconnect support. Turns out, since I just updated the software on my iphone 5 to version 6.1.3, which is not yet compatible with uconnect. She said I should go back to 6.1.2 software, which is compatible, or wait a month until the uconnect updates itself. This will fix both of my issues apparently. In the meantime, I'm going to un-pair and re-pair my phone and hope that helps.

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2013, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

My works perfectly on the 6.1.3... Weird.

Good luck man..

Bullfrog
Old 04-11-2013, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well once again, another BS story from customer service.
1) Uconnect does not do monthly updates and as of right now there are no updates coming.
2) iOS 6.1.3 does work with Uconnect.
3) There isn't an update to fix the "skipping". This is interference that causes BT packets to be dropped. Streaming audio is not like a wired connection and the information is sent in packets, the packets have too be received in order to have audio. mine will do it occasionally and it's not enough to really bother me.
4) Changing the phones SW will not fix this either. You may want to make sure that you do have WI-FI turned off on the phone. This will help.
5) I have noticed that the iPhone's do take a longer to connect when you get into the vehicle than the Androids. Another thing is that I have helped another person that had an iPhone but his wife had an Android phone. His was priority 1 and hers was 2, however when they both got into the vehicle to go out together, Uconnect would start searching for a phone to connect to after turning the key on. The Android responded faster to the search than the iPhone, so she would connect to the system and he wouldn't. So in order to keep this from happening, she had to tirn BT off on her phone before entering the vehicle.
6) I don't know how long you're waiting for the phone to connect but it's not an instant thing. You turn the key on, Uconnect powers up then starts searching for the phone, waits for the phone to tell Uconnect hello and start the bonding process. This can actually take up to a minute or so. The fact that you say you're pressing the button to make it connect makes me think that you're trying to rush the connection. The Iphone is SLOOOww.
I have the 5 & the 4S, they are both slower than my wifes GIII.

Originally Posted by Willcorr17
So I called uconnect support. Turns out, since I just updated the software on my iphone 5 to version 6.1.3, which is not yet compatible with uconnect. She said I should go back to 6.1.2 software, which is compatible, or wait a month until the uconnect updates itself. This will fix both of my issues apparently. In the meantime, I'm going to un-pair and re-pair my phone and hope that helps.

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by xsdbs
well once again, another BS story from customer service.
1) Uconnect does not do monthly updates and as of right now there are no updates coming.
2) iOS 6.1.3 does work with Uconnect.
3) There isn't an update to fix the "skipping". This is interference that causes BT packets to be dropped. Streaming audio is not like a wired connection and the information is sent in packets, the packets have too be received in order to have audio. mine will do it occasionally and it's not enough to really bother me.
4) Changing the phones SW will not fix this either. You may want to make sure that you do have WI-FI turned off on the phone. This will help.
5) I have noticed that the iPhone's do take a longer to connect when you get into the vehicle than the Androids. Another thing is that I have helped another person that had an iPhone but his wife had an Android phone. His was priority 1 and hers was 2, however when they both got into the vehicle to go out together, Uconnect would start searching for a phone to connect to after turning the key on. The Android responded faster to the search than the iPhone, so she would connect to the system and he wouldn't. So in order to keep this from happening, she had to tirn BT off on her phone before entering the vehicle.
6) I don't know how long you're waiting for the phone to connect but it's not an instant thing. You turn the key on, Uconnect powers up then starts searching for the phone, waits for the phone to tell Uconnect hello and start the bonding process. This can actually take up to a minute or so. The fact that you say you're pressing the button to make it connect makes me think that you're trying to rush the connection. The Iphone is SLOOOww.
I have the 5 & the 4S, they are both slower than my wifes GIII.
XSBDS,

I am enjoying all your knowledge on these bluetooth issues. Mines a 4s and works great. Most people don't have any knowledege to speak of on this, so thanks.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

Delete your phone and redo it just like the other person said. Also delete off your phone.

My iPhone 5 works perfect even with the update.

After starting my Jeep it usually takes 5 to 15 seconds to pair.

BT streaming audio is a hit or miss. Sometimes it works great and other times it is horrible.

You can also use your USB to play your iPhone audio in nice clear audio. Just make sure after the phone is paired that you change your airplay icon to dock connector instead of u connect
Old 04-11-2013, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Hello! With the older version also my iphone had problem with BT connection skpping the songs: the only way was to lock the screen, with usb it didn't work at all!
Now I've update to last version both iphone and Uci and all works! I found the most updated file in a mustang forum and put it directly in the radio by a memory key.
Mpi

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 04-12-2013, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you, scubatech, I am constantly learning as I go and also when I help people with issues (with their Uconnect system anyway).

Originally Posted by scubatech
XSBDS,

I am enjoying all your knowledge on these bluetooth issues. Mines a 4s and works great. Most people don't have any knowledege to speak of on this, so thanks.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

I am having the same "skipping" issue with audio from my iPhone. 2013 with 430 RHB. At first it wasn't that big of a deal, but it is becoming rather annoying. I have deleted and re paired the phone several times, I tried turning the wifi off but still the music skips every so often. Uconnect tech support told me that the system was operating as designed. I hardly think that skipping was designed. Bluetooth streaming works perfectly with every other device that I have ever connected it to, so this is clearly a Uconnect issue. Very frustrating that much older vehicles it works great, but in my brand new Jeep the quality is this bad.

Quick Reply: Uconnect and iphone 5 problems