Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

u joint issues (maybe) help me please!

Old 06-23-2011, 09:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default u joint issues (maybe) help me please!

Hi Everyone, hopefully someone has had this same experience, and can help me out. I lifted my 2010 jk (only 2") and made really no other modifications, about 2 months ago. Since it's warmed up, I've been driving with the windows down, and now I notice all this noise coming from underneath my front end when I go over bumps. I live on a cobblestone street, and it sounds like I'm pulling an undercoated beer can with a couple of little rocks in it, down the road. It's like a clicking sound, not really metallic, but lower. I really don't know how to explain it. I have noticed that it doesn't really change if I turn, if I press on the breaks, it stops a bit, but not entirely, and when the jeep shifts, like when I tap on the breaks or the gas, it seems to do it then also. I've looked all over the site, and mostly, all I can find is the bad u joints theory, but i have less than 5k on my jeep (no offroad as of yet) and the axle u joints look great, and as far as I can tell, have no play in them. I've tugged and tightened everything, and nothing has changed. I've disconnected the sway bar and tried it that way. No better. I can't see that there are any clips missing and the break components seem tight. What could it be? Help me please? There are basically no mechanics in my small town, and it's driving me nuts.
Thanks for any input you can give me.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just fixed that exact same problem!!! Very easy and cheep to fix
Old 06-23-2011, 09:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull all your rims off, undo the 2 13mm bolts that hold your caliper on, pull out the brake pads, there are small tin shims that go on the caliper bracket where the pads touch they need to be taken off, cleaned with a wire brush and lube them with anti-seize like copaslip put the lube on the caliper bracket then put the shim on, then lube the inside of the shims where the brake pads go, make sure to lube the brake pad where ever it touches the caliper, this will stop that annoying clicking sound! Any questions just pm me, I just finished doing mine like an hour ago
Old 06-24-2011, 05:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the sound by chance follow your speed? Quicker you go, the more rapid it gets until it goes away or blends in with road noise?

My first thought when you described that is that it sounds like a bad driveshaft CV joint.

I had one go out on an old truck of mine.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:19 PM
JK Newbie

that sounds fairly easy. Should I replace the ujoints at the same time that I lube up the brake components as described, just so I dont have to take everything apart twice, or do you think that's overkill? I have to order u joints from somewhere, since no one has em here or in the next town either. Any suggestions?
I'm just so glad you guys have answers for me. I'll try anything, short of taking it to the dealer, 0ver 100 miles away, and leaving it there, for forever.
No, the sound doesn't seem to be affected by speed, just bumps, and when I tap the gas or breaks.
I can't wait to get out there tomorrow and give that break thing a try. Who cares if I have to take everything apart twice, right? At least it's still playin with the Jeep.
thanks so much.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

could be your tie rod, mines an 07 and ive already replaced u joints and tie rod ends
Old 06-26-2011, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure you've looked into this, but did you remove the plastic cover under the front? if it's still there and loose that thing can make a racket.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:23 PM
JK Newbie

havent checked tie rod. but I removed the plastic cover when I installed the grill/brush guard and kinda liked the way it looked without, so i never put it back on. I am hoping to check the brake pads this week. I can't find that stupid wheel lock key that the garage put on there when they put the new wheels on, so i guess i'm gonna have to pound a socket on there and pry them off. If anyone has any other suggestions for me, I'll check everything while I'm down there.
thanks again.

Quick Reply: u joint issues (maybe) help me please!