Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

TSB question

Old 09-10-2009, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TSB question

Hey all, i'm new around here, but in need of a quick answer. I bought my jeep used at a Honda dealership over the weekend last saturday. SO i've been a jeep owner for a total of 5 days now and have already experienced issues. I've got a 2007 Sahara Unlimited Automatic with 52000 miles on it. I had standing water in the driver side floorboard after a rain, so i called the dealer of purchase and they told me to take it to my local Jeep dealership for repair and they would foot the bill. So, cool, no prob. Between the time i talked to the dealer and the time i took it to the Jeep dealer i found out that there were many TSB's out that hadn't been performed on my vehicle. Should i press the issue and get them done? There are 5 re-flashes according to the Jeep dealer that need to be done. It will cost me $105 to get them done. I think the Honda dealer should pay for that because it should have been done before i took delivery. But i didn't ask them to, having been unaware that many TSB's were out. I'd really like to get out of paying for this, seeing as i think it should have been taken care of long ago by the previous owner. Any opinions?

Thanks all...
Old 09-10-2009, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry bro but I think this is a case of buyer beware. If you purchase a used vehicle and find out something wasn't fixed correctly, it is your responsibility unless you have a agreed upon warranty from the dealer. If your issue is a Jeep Recall. Jeep will cover it. Maybe with the right amount of force and attitude and threat they will fix them out of the goodness of their heart.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Trumpet8va
Hey all, i'm new around here, but in need of a quick answer. I bought my jeep used at a Honda dealership over the weekend last saturday. SO i've been a jeep owner for a total of 5 days now and have already experienced issues. I've got a 2007 Sahara Unlimited Automatic with 52000 miles on it. I had standing water in the driver side floorboard after a rain, so i called the dealer of purchase and they told me to take it to my local Jeep dealership for repair and they would foot the bill. So, cool, no prob. Between the time i talked to the dealer and the time i took it to the Jeep dealer i found out that there were many TSB's out that hadn't been performed on my vehicle. Should i press the issue and get them done? There are 5 re-flashes according to the Jeep dealer that need to be done. It will cost me $105 to get them done. I think the Honda dealer should pay for that because it should have been done before i took delivery. But i didn't ask them to, having been unaware that many TSB's were out. I'd really like to get out of paying for this, seeing as i think it should have been taken care of long ago by the previous owner. Any opinions?

Thanks all...
If you are diplomatic and level headed, most dealers will accomodate you.......to a point. Perhaps they might foot half the bill. They might pay for it all. They might be buttholes and try not to pay for any of it. Chances are they probably have a decent reputation being a Honda dealer. Let's face it, Hondas are good cars. Most Honda dealers are pretty reputable. I'd try diplomacy first and see where you end up. You could get everything you want.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did you get the extended warranty? I had a jeep liberty that I got used with an extended warranty. The place that I got it from got all the TSB's fixed for it under the extended warranty. Something to check into.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:02 AM
JK Newbie

I tried the diplomatic route first...contacted the sales manager and asked politely. I still have yet to get a response. The work is being done this morning, so i'll find out if they paid for it at about 1:30 this afternoon. If they didn't, i'm going to find out about my options for extended warranty, but that may actually be too late. I hope i can get retribution for payment from the dealer (the re-flashes amount to $105...how much does it cost to keep a new customer happy?) I'm hoping for the best. I'll update once i get more info.
Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

...how much does it cost to keep a new customer happy?)
Exactly! That may have more pull than you think. You can make it clear too, that you don't expect for them to keep paying for things that "pop up", but the least they could do is pay for the reflashes as well, as those should have been done.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:19 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Don't confuse TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) with Recalls.

TSBs are only to point the technician in a particular direction when troubleshooting a customer complaint. If you are not experiencing a problem, they will not comply with a TSB, since there is no troubleshooting going on.
TSBs are not necessarily free beyond the warranty coverage for the problem at hand. In other words, if a problem is not covered under warranty, the TSB for that problem may involve additional charges beyond the basic repair job.

So, you can't really expect a reflash if you are not having any symptoms that would be covered by the reflash.
If you ARE having a problem that requires a reflash, they will usually update all the computers whether they need it or not.

Last edited by ronjenx; 09-11-2009 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If you ARE having a problem that requires a reflash, they will usually update all the computers whether they need it or not.
That's a very good point. And this is perhaps the reason I've been so adamant about it. I've experienced the symptoms of at least 3 of the 5 reflashes needed. I've had the Jeep for only 6 days. I had ESP kick in unexpectedly, the radio cut out, and there has been uneven shifting in the automatic transmission. The ESP issue is a valid concern IMHO and a safety issue that would cause the vehicle to possibly operate improperly and become hazardous. I wouldn't make a big deal of it if the TSB didn't say "could possibly cause an accident." That is cause for me to be pro-active and get it taken care of. I don't know, maybe i'm over reacting...I just know i traded a perfectly working car for one that needs a bit of maintenance. I guess i should have checked further before committing.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Don't Honda dealers only sell "Certified" used cars? Should be inspected and certified bla bla bla.....

Seems like the Certification process would include checking what needs to be done, but then again, a TSB is not a recall and is not required.

I wonder if a TSB would even be covered under a warranty?????

Regardless, have fun with your JK. I have more miles on my JK than any vehicle I have owned in the last 15 years, and I love it more every day. Crudely made, noisy, but looks awesome and is incredible off road.

the investment is worth the experience
Old 09-11-2009, 07:08 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

That's a very good point. And this is perhaps the reason I've been so adamant about it. I've experienced the symptoms of at least 3 of the 5 reflashes needed. I've had the Jeep for only 6 days. I had ESP kick in unexpectedly, the radio cut out, and there has been uneven shifting in the automatic transmission. The ESP issue is a valid concern IMHO and a safety issue that would cause the vehicle to possibly operate improperly and become hazardous. I wouldn't make a big deal of it if the TSB didn't say "could possibly cause an accident." That is cause for me to be pro-active and get it taken care of. I don't know, maybe i'm over reacting...I just know i traded a perfectly working car for one that needs a bit of maintenance. I guess i should have checked further before committing.
There is your ticket. You are having problems covered by several TSBs. The previous owner may not have reported the symptoms you are getting.

This would most likely be covered at the Jeep dealer, under the used car warranty from the Honda dealer.

Quick Reply: TSB question