Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Trouble starting zipper on rear window

Old 08-13-2010, 08:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also spray some 3M silicone spray lube on where the zippers start. This helps get it going.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone else just keep it attached and roll it up? I find it really easy just to roll it up and store it under the last bar on the soft top. I got rid of the elastic straps and made a better strap with 2 inch webbing and alligator clips. With the new strap it rolls up completely under the soft top so it doesn't block my view and when I want to take the top off it I only need to worry about the 2 side windows. So far this has worked really well I haven't noticed any cloudiness in the window or big scratches. If you leave it tied up for a while the window does get a little bit of a crease where the edges of the gate bar were but they seem to go away shortly after the window is put back down.

Also are there any reasons out there why I should take the window out all the way vs rolling it up?
Old 08-13-2010, 09:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Trouble starting zipper on rear window

Originally Posted by wcfd111
Does anyone else just keep it attached and roll it up? I find it really easy just to roll it up and store it under the last bar on the soft top. I got rid of the elastic straps and made a better strap with 2 inch webbing and alligator clips. With the new strap it rolls up completely under the soft top so it doesn't block my view and when I want to take the top off it I only need to worry about the 2 side windows. So far this has worked really well I haven't noticed any cloudiness in the window or big scratches. If you leave it tied up for a while the window does get a little bit of a crease where the edges of the gate bar were but they seem to go away shortly after the window is put back down.

Also are there any reasons out there why I should take the window out all the way vs rolling it up?
I have done this for years on all 5 of my jeeps. There is no reason to remove it. It works great to allow open air when top is up and helps tuck it out of the way when the top is down! Way better IMO!!!
Old 08-14-2010, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default I leave mine attached

Some where in here some one said they just start at the left side and move the zipper all the way to the right side, thus leaving it attached and it is out of the way when I put the top down, or even when I just take all the windows out and leave the top on. I had problems starting the zipper after I took the widow out and it was to much of a PITA to put in.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

just put on the bestop supertop today, and had the same issue. i figured with the soft top if it started to rain i would just slide it right up. im starting to think differently
Old 09-07-2010, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

I've *hated* the way the zippers have sounded on both my jeeps...It's like fingernails on a chaulkboard to me...Saw a couple of folks mention using wax..Any feedback from that good or bad?
Old 09-07-2010, 06:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to roll my back windows but they surely get scratched to heck doing that... even if they are cleaned first... I even tried rolling a microfiber towel up into it and that helped with scratched...

rolling it is a lot easier if you dont care about scratching it up...

-Christopher
Old 09-07-2010, 07:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An ancient tribal remedy for sticky Jeep zippers is paraffin (or candle wax). Get it really warm - almost to melting point - and rub on the zippers. If done right, it works much better than gumming up the zippers with spray lubes like WD-40. Most lubes attract dirt, the wax doesn't. Need to repeat fairly often, so buy a block and keep handy. It will work OK if you rub it on when it's cold and run the zipper a few times really fast to work it in.

If you don't mind scratching the beejeezus out of your window, just roll it up! I prefer to keep mine in a Clover Patch window roll. I wipe off the dust and dirt with a damp micro-fiber towel before rolling. Still look like new! (except for some desert pin-striping).

Quick Reply: Trouble starting zipper on rear window