Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Trouble starting.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble starting.

Latley ive noticed when i go to start my Jk it acts like the battery is dead, but then i try turning the key again and it starts. Today it took ten times of turning the key before it started. Any ideas on whats wrong? 2007 JK
Old 07-12-2012, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default Trouble starting

Sounds like an ignition problem, get it checked out because eventually Your key will get stuck in the ignition and won't turn at all if the problem is the ignition or starter
Old 07-12-2012, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

What specifically do you mean it acts dead? My 07 would only click at starting sometimes and start fine other times. Finally one day the relays were clicking like crazy, even after I removed the key. I freaked out and towed it to a trusted mechanic. He said it was a bad connection at the battery posts. This caused a low voltage to the computer there were too many lugs under too few screws.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bad battery and/or connections or ground...have your battery tested...it's free at any auto parts dealer...double check all connections are tight and clean. Add an additional ground wire from negative terminal to alternator bracket, remove your original chassis ground and clean and scuff the metal and reinstall..my 07 was completely painted underneath.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DKehler
What specifically do you mean it acts dead? My 07 would only click at starting sometimes and start fine other times. Finally one day the relays were clicking like crazy, even after I removed the key. I freaked out and towed it to a trusted mechanic. He said it was a bad connection at the battery posts. This caused a low voltage to the computer there were too many lugs under too few screws.

It acts like the battery is dead. Just clicks. I took the key out and put it back in and it fired up
Old 07-12-2012, 01:19 PM
JK Newbie

OK thanks everyone! Ill have to check my ground connections and terminals.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jdelia2012
OK thanks everyone! Ill have to check my ground connections and terminals.
Did that fix it? Mine's doing the same thing!
Old 09-16-2012, 04:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the click no start problem 3 or 4 times last year on my 08 X. I added grounds, re-tightened all obvious body grounds and the problem went away. Earlier this year I replaced my battery after reading the threads on OEM battery life and just the other day got one more click no start. I checked my factory grounds for tightness. There are 3 or 4 in the engie compartment on the front fender well wall. Loosen and then tighten them all to gain a better electrical connection. That may help. Grounding everything from battery negative to alternator frame and engine block is another good idea.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:40 PM
JK Newbie

Found this, don't now it it means anything to any body - left me confused...
I have manual door locks...

http://project-jk.com/images/tsb/TSB_08-007-08-REVA.pdf

Read the TSB and let me know what you think.
-B

Quick Reply: Trouble starting.