Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Transmission or transfer case leak?

Old 07-01-2021, 07:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission or transfer case leak?

So I was about to do a transfer case fluid change. Removed the skid plate and noticed it was somewhat damp with fluid and there was a drop of fluid hanging from above. I never noticed anything leaking on my garage floor so it must be a slow leak. Any idea if this is from the transfer case, or transmission? Should I not bother replacing the transfer case fluid until I figure out and fix the cause of this other leak?

Pic is on the front side of the transfer case...but on the back side where the drain and fill plugs are it is totally clean.

Old 12-19-2021, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on your Transfer Case leak? Mine is exactly the same.

Hi,

I am encountering the exact same leak. What was the outcome/fix?

Old 12-19-2021, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Welcome to JKF. I would thoroughly clean that all off first and watch it daily to determine the exact leak but it does look like the front DS seal.
The following users liked this post:
Yoni (12-19-2021)
Old 12-22-2021, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

It looks like a bad front drive shaft to me. You are "Slingin' Grease." Take a look above the transfer case on the aluminum heat shield and see if the grease is above up there. You can then rule out the transfer case as the cause if its above. Otherwise follow the directions above and clean it all up to get a better look. I'd also check the fluid level of the transfer case or even perform a TC service which is super easy and under $20. You can see how much fluid come out of the TC. The TC uses ATF+4 which is red in color. So unless its never been changed on your vehicle before, I would say thats the dark black drive shaft grease.

Last edited by EHarris; 12-22-2021 at 07:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Yoni (12-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Transmission or transfer case leak?