Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Transmission Range sensor bypass...Help!!!

Old 01-01-2015, 05:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my damn luck..its raining now..No pulling in the garage..wont run..and my popup camper is in the garage!!
Old 01-01-2015, 07:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That sucks. Timing is everything. And your Jeep has been down since last year. Hopefully it won't last long for you.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
That sucks. Timing is everything. And your Jeep has been down since last year. Hopefully it won't last long for you.
ya got me..had to read that twice!!
Old 01-01-2015, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

OK, update time:

I first pulled every fuse and relay out of the TPIM and checked them with a volt meter..made 100% sure they were all good and they were...tried to crank the jeep and again I got the same result. Now, either in this thread or one of the other 20 threads I started on other forums I had a fellow suggest that I check my brake switch as he had gone through some similar trouble because of a wire coming out of his brake switch. I decided to check it out...I unplugged the harness from the brake switch and noticed the switch was about to just fall out. I tightened the nut on the front of the brake switch, plugged the harness back in, poured my 210lb ass out of the drivers floor board and hopped in the seat...all the time knowing this shit was just another step in this journey. I put the key in the ignition, cranked it over and the beautiful sound of cylinders began to roar. I about jumped out of the damn jeep with excitement. I let it run for 5 min or so and killed it. Now the test..is it or is it not going to start again...boom, it fired right up again...I took a ride around the block and back home and killed it. I then cranked and killed the engine 5 more times with no issue. I dont want to jinx it, but I do believe the deitch was my problem all along and I am now good to go.

So I will keep you guys updated and let you know if it stays good or derails again. To all of you that chimed in and took the time from your personal life to help a total stranger..I say Thank you. Thank you very much. Good people are hard to come by and I do believe there are quiet a few here.

To the fellow that told me about the brake switch..if you are on here, please PM me. I woukd like to send you something to show my gratitude!

Thank you all so very much!! you guys
Old 01-01-2015, 08:21 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

That's great news!
Here's to hoping it stays fixed.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
That's great news!
Here's to hoping it stays fixed.
X2
Old 01-01-2015, 11:05 AM
JK Junkie

Good news. Glad you got it sorted.
Old 01-01-2015, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

we will see!! All I can do is hope it stays fixed. I did get the fuel line replaced. Now I ned the rain to stop so I can replace the front driveshaft and the passenger shock....thank you again guys!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

Exclamation

Well, here we go again: Let me start

Sunday 1-4-15 about 10:00 am..I am sitting on the couch and hear a horn honking (in a continuous tone, not honk- honk-honk). I think to my self some idiot needs to turn that shit off. The horn sound continues for another couple minutes and I decided I have had enough of this noise and was going to see who was causing all the disturbance. I open my front door and my JKUR is sitting in the driveway with the horn blaring and the headlights on. I scramble to get my keys, hit the unlock on the key pad and it all shuts up. I then hit the remote start and Jeep fired right up. I walked out to the Jeep opened the door, got in, put key in ignition and turned it on. All the while everything is functioning as normal. I killed it, re-started it a couple time and all was well. Later on in the evening I went out to the Jeep cranked it up, drove to the store, killed it, went in, came out cranked right up and back home. All in good in Jeep land right? HELL NO..fast forward to Monday morning 15-15

1-5-15 6:50 AM
IAt 6:50 am this morning I wanted to crank my Jeep up to let it warm up (it was in the 30's here last night). So I hit the remote start from the kitchen...hear two honks...and nothing...I walked out to the Jeep opened the door and put the key in the ignition. Turned it to "start", and nothing..I let off the key from "start" with out turning all the way back off and I see the "red lightning bolt" illuminated on the dash as well as the little "motor" flashing. I turned the key to off...turned back on and let the dash lights go through the normal light up and test procedure. Now the "red lightning bolt" is gone and the "motor" is no longer flashing. Tried to crank and nothing and again the lightning bolt came on along with the "motor". I checked the battery with volt meter (showed 12.33V). Pulled fuses, relays, ect and checked them all. They were all good. Anyway had a couple guys I work with show up so we took a hot wire from battery to starter solenoid while one guy put the key in "start" position. Guess what..fired right up...let it run for a few minutes and killed it..Tried to crank it again normally with key..it fired right up. I checked the voltage at battery with it running and got a reading of 14.3V. I killed it and tried a third time..nothing and the "lightning bolt" and "motor" were back. I disconnected the battery cables, cleaned the, connections well with sandpaper at the battery, battery cables and every thing attached to battery. Tried t crank again..nothing.."LB" and "motor". I disconnected the battery cables and hooked up battery charger. the indicator on the charger showed the battery was pretty low as the needle went up about 3/4 of the way on the charger so i put the battery on a slow 2 amp charge for 6 hours..came back and checked the charger a few minutes ago and the needle on the charger was down near 0 meaning fully charged. I disconnected the charger, hoped in the jeep, hit the ignition, and nothing except the "LB" and the "motor". Just for shits and giggles I hooked the battery charger back up and the indicator on the charger was once again nearly to the top (meaning dead). I checked the battery with volt meter and got a reading of 12.4V...So with all of this said..Does it sound like the battery has shit out? Can a battery read "normal" or "good" voltage and still have a problem, as in CCA? I am at the end of my rope with this Jeep. I juat don't know where to go next..any suggestions? I am pulling the battery and taking it to get tested at the local parts store...I will let you know what I find out. If any of you have any suggestions, I am all ears..Oh yea..I also did the key on and off thing to check codes..nothing..it just read ---done----...suggestions?
Old 01-05-2015, 10:54 AM
JK Junkie

Yes. Have it load tested.

Quick Reply: Transmission Range sensor bypass...Help!!!