Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Transmission Range sensor bypass...Help!!!

Old 12-30-2014, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Transmission Range sensor bypass...Help!!!

Ok guys I have searched for 2 days, I have searched google, web crawler, any and every JK forum available... trying to find out how to bypass the transmission range sensor. Does anyone know?

2010 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon / auto transmission

I drove it sunday..all was well..get up for work monday..no start..typical issues..dash lights work ect...battery voltage good, starter tested, tried shifting from park to 1st gear, pushing the shifter handle forward, wiggling the shifter, put ground cables from battery to transmission, block, and frame...still nothing..I can have someone turn the key and hit the starter switch with 12V and it will fire right up..I know it has to be the TRS crapped out. I need to bypass this piece of junk!! HELP!!
Old 12-30-2014, 02:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

PCM connector 4, pin 27, yellow/dark blue wire: jump to ground to bypass the TRS.

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-30-2014 at 02:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AmbientMoto (07-31-2023)
Old 12-30-2014, 03:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
PCM connector 4, pin 27, yellow/dark blue wire: jump to ground to bypass the TRS.

Thank you very much. I hope this solves my problem. My Jeep has been sitting dormant in the driveway for 3 days now. I also wanted to mention a couple more details..Sunday when I cranked the Jeep, it seemed like the ignition stuck in the "crank" position or better yet like the starter hung in the "crank" position. I killed it immediately when this happened, waited a few minutes and fired it right up as normal...Now, monday morning when it would not do anything...I also had to hit the "release" button by the shifter to get the shifter to release (otherwise it was stuck in park). After releasing the shifter with the little button thing I could shift from park to any other gear just fine..Does that cloud things up more? Still sound like the TRS?
Old 12-30-2014, 04:04 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by cherokee980
Thank you very much. I hope this solves my problem. My Jeep has been sitting dormant in the driveway for 3 days now. I also wanted to mention a couple more details..Sunday when I cranked the Jeep, it seemed like the ignition stuck in the "crank" position or better yet like the starter hung in the "crank" position. I killed it immediately when this happened, waited a few minutes and fired it right up as normal...Now, monday morning when it would not do anything...I also had to hit the "release" button by the shifter to get the shifter to release (otherwise it was stuck in park). After releasing the shifter with the little button thing I could shift from park to any other gear just fine..Does that cloud things up more? Still sound like the TRS?
Jumping the TRS to ground isn't a fix. It's just to get you going.
The starter staying engaged is normal for the JKs with automatics. Turn the key to start; if it doesn't start, it will continue to crank for about 10 seconds after you release the key. It's the TipStart feature. Does this sound like what happened?
Are you getting a click-no-crank condition? Or, is it completely silent when you turn the key to START?

The shift lever not moving may have been another issue. During the no start attempt, maybe you had turned the key off, or not had the brake pedal depressed enough. Could have been a lot of things, including the linkage out of adjustment.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

im getting no click..I had someone touch the starter relay in the TPIM as I turned the key. He said he could feel the relay clicking. As I said earlier, I can take a 12V hot wire directly to switch at starter with someone turning the key to crank and it will fire right up. I checked the starter switch wire and I have 12V in the crank position as long as it is not connected to the starter..once I connect the switch wire back to starter the 12V goes away.

As far as it continuing to crank..the engine fired up but the starter stayed engaged...

brake pedal was pressed and key was definitely on...

Last edited by cherokee980; 12-30-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Hell I am to the point that I am going to put a damn push button starter switch in it and call it good! I have been pulling my hair out over this. It amazes me how my Jeep could break down just sitting in the driveway...
Old 12-30-2014, 04:35 PM
JK Jedi Master

im getting no click..I had someone touch the starter relay in the TPIM as I turned the key. He said he could feel the relay clicking. As I said earlier, I can take a 12V hot wire directly to switch at starter with someone turning the key to crank and it will fire right up. I checked the starter switch wire and I have 12V in the crank position as long as it is not connected to the starter..once I connect the switch wire back to starter the 12V goes away.

As far as it continuing to crank..the engine fired up but the starter stayed engaged...

brake pedal was pressed and key was definitely on...
Well, it's hard to help with details trickling in a few at a time.

If your helper could feel the starter relay clicking in the TIPM, that means all the safety features' conditions were met, including the TRS being OK.
It's beginning to sound like the problem is after the TIPM. Could be a bad connection or wire to the starter solenoid, a bad solenoid, or bad starter. Could also be the starter isn't grounding well.
Old 12-30-2014, 04:41 PM
JK Newbie

Well, it's hard to help with details trickling in a few at a time.

If your helper could feel the starter relay clicking in the TIPM, that means all the safety features' conditions were met, including the TRS being OK.
It's beginning to sound like the problem is after the TIPM. Could be a bad connection or wire to the starter solenoid, a bad solenoid, or bad starter. Could also be the starter isn't grounding well.
I pulled the starter and had it tested..came back good. Like I said earlier I have 12V at the starter switch until I hook the wire back to the starter..then the 12V goes away..like when it goes under a load it drops the voltage. I did run 3 new ground wires (4awg)..all three connect to negative side of battery..one to the transmission bellhousing, one to the engine block and one to the fire wall

Any recommendations on how to be sure I am getting a good ground to the starter?
Old 12-30-2014, 06:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

I pulled the starter and had it tested..came back good. Like I said earlier I have 12V at the starter switch until I hook the wire back to the starter..then the 12V goes away..like when it goes under a load it drops the voltage. I did run 3 new ground wires (4awg)..all three connect to negative side of battery..one to the transmission bellhousing, one to the engine block and one to the fire wall

Any recommendations on how to be sure I am getting a good ground to the starter?
Can I assume the wire with the 12 volts/then no 12 volts is the little one that triggers the solenoid on the starter?
Old 12-30-2014, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

Can I assume the wire with the 12 volts/then no 12 volts is the little one that triggers the solenoid on the starter?
this is 100% correct

Quick Reply: Transmission Range sensor bypass...Help!!!