Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Transmission Problem!

Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problem!

So I am a fairly new jeep owner I bought a wrangler used with 20k miles on it and have made some upgrades to make it into a more capable off road machine. After enjoying the jeep for the last three years I am faced with a blown transmission at 50k miles! The clutch pack is destroyed and 2nd and 3rd gear have shredded. I looked up current recalls and found a transmission temperature warning recall for my vehicle. So I'm told by the transmission shop to give chrysler a call and see if there is any help for my transmission. I figure anything is worth a shot when I'm facing $3500 in repairs.

So i give them a call and this is where I get pissed. The lady on the phone is nice as can be and asks me a number of questions one of them being "Is this your first Chrysler product" which I answer "Yes, I am actually a Chevy fan but I've been impressed with the before this" After being placed on hold she tells me "There is nothing we can do because you are not a long time Chrysler customer, you told me you were a Chevy man yourself and you have no brand loyalty. Based on the information you have given me we can go nowhere with this. We also have no record of this issue." Are you F'n kidding me?! So there is no such thing as building customer loyalty, I have to be loyal first and then they will bend over backwards? Why not stand behind the weak little transmission that you pulled off your minivans and put into a 4 wheel drive vehicle? The transmission shop told me the transmission overheated which is why it blew and then chrysler admits there is a temperature problem with their transmission and when mine explodes they see no correlation?!

Anyways I just needed to let off some steam. Has anyone else had a problem with their transmission? 50k miles with a blown transmission seems a little ridiculous. I have done all scheduled maintenance on the vehicle. Any suggestions?
Old 08-15-2011, 10:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd call them back and ask to speak with a manager/supervisor as thats completly unacceptable.. It seems that your powertrain warranty is still valid, correct? if so i see no reason why they should refuse to fix this under warranty.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never been asked that

I dont see why the F*#K it should matter either.. I would call them again and talk to someone else.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Croce
I'd call them back and ask to speak with a manager/supervisor as thats completly unacceptable.. It seems that your powertrain warranty is still valid, correct? if so i see no reason why they should refuse to fix this under warranty.
Used jeeps dosnt come with anything but 3year 36k(from build date). Unless you purchased something else like an extended warranty from the dealer there is no warranty at 50k miles
Old 08-15-2011, 10:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Croce
He's the second owner I didn't think it transferred after the initial owner. So he might be out of luck with that one, I could be wrong though. As for that statement on the phone that is completely unacceptable and inappropriate for a consumer call. I would call back and get on the phone with a manager/supervisor and be irate as Hell for what was just said to me.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont see how Chrysler is responsible when you bought the vehicle used, unless it was a certified vehicle. You may have done everything right but theres no telling what the original owner did and didnt do to destroy the tranny. I guess they could have been cool and helped you but thats their choice. Sorry about your troubles man.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:26 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by The_Yeti
Used jeeps dosnt come with anything but 3year 36k(from build date). Unless you purchased something else like an extended warranty from the dealer there is no warranty at 50k miles

pretty sure he was referring to the lifetime power train warranty that they offered on 07's - 09's.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by fadeout
pretty sure he was referring to the lifetime power train warranty that they offered on 07's - 09's.
It dosnt transfer though. If it does... i should be getting a new driveshaft! lol but all warranties run out at 3 years or 36k if you buy it used

i bought mine used with 8k on the clock and almost a year old and they wouldnt let me keep the lifetime powertrian warranty.

Last edited by The_Yeti; 08-15-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Yeti
Gotcha, i thought the powertrain still xferred unless it was the lifetime one which i wasnt sure if his originally came with or not
Old 08-15-2011, 10:39 AM
JK Super Freak

OP,

The best thing to do would have a written statement from the shop stating that "overheating was the cause of this problem etc." and go to a mod-friendly dealer to see what they say. it may come down to them fixing it because you bought your jeep used and the recall was never done prior to you owning it.

Its always good to have something in writing

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem!