Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Transmission leak??

Old 04-23-2018, 08:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission leak??

2012 jeep jk 6 speed manual. I have had it about a month. Noticed some marble noise when in 1st-3rd. Wanted to look at it and see about draining and refilling fluid. When under it, I found the foam block on top of tranny at gear shift is missing half of the foam and it is soaked with oil. Top of tranny only no oil anywhere else. Under hood is clean and transfer case and back is clean. Under jeep the ground is perfect, no signs of leak. Help, where would it be coming from to be on the top of the tranny

Last edited by zimmer; 04-24-2018 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 04-24-2018, 03:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Did you pull the fill plug and check the level?

The tranny only takes about two quarts or so.

Mine had no leaks, but was only half full from the factory, after I refilled it, it has remained full every time I've checked over the last 111,000 miles.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got tied up with work. Had to buy a 14mm and 17mm hex to pull the plugs. Will check levels tomorrow. I understand that might be the noise but there is oil on top of it right around where the shifter goes through the floor board. Not understanding where this could come from.

Quick Reply: Transmission leak??