Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Transmission

Old 09-30-2018, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission

42rle with 200,000 miles. Has transmission cooler and fresh oil. Shifts good and other than the Hot Oil message I wouldn’t think anything is wrong. About every 3rd or 4th time I drive it I get codes P0740, P0218 & P0868 and of course the Hot Oil message.

I would think if the torque converter or another part was out I’d get these codes every time or am I wrong about that?
Old 10-01-2018, 07:35 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

An infrared temp gun aimed at the front of the transmission pan will give a good indication of the fluid temp in the sump, which is what the only temp sensor in the transmission sees.

How long has this been an issue? Did it start after some other maintenance action?

If the problems started right after a fluid/filter change, re-examine filter installation. Improperly installed filter may cause the cascading of codes you have: low line pressure P0868; improper operation of torque converter clutch, P0740, due to low line pressure, causing the torque converter to not lock up; overheating of transmission fluid P0218, due to constant slipping of the torque converter.
On the oil filter, having the o-ring stay in the valve body, resulting in two o-rings being there, is something to check for.

Additional causes may be low fluid level, high fluid level, electrical problems, to name a few.

When checking the transmission fluid level, make sure the JK is sitting on a level surface, the engine needs to be idling, in park or neutral, with the fluid warmed up.

Last edited by ronjenx; 10-01-2018 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you for replying! I’ve only had the Jeep a couple months and it started doing this when I put the lift and tires on, Jeep was 100% stock before. I added the transmission cooler and changed the oil hoping that would fix this. I will get the infrared temp and see what that says, might be a bad sensor there? I drove the Jeep about 45 miles Saturday and left it in OD to see what would happen while I was driving 75mph. It ran perfectly and downshift many times without an issue so I though I had it fixed. Sunday just used it around town and bang, Hot Oil after about 3 minutes on expressway. Pulled over and let it cool off. Took off for home again with OD off and it got hot another time.
Old 10-03-2018, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

Got a chance to drive it today and had an infrared temp gun. Drove it on the highway at 75mph and let the OD jump in and out for about 15 miles. Pulled over and pan was at 168 degrees. Drove it around town and it got up to 216 degrees, so jumped back up on highway and got Hot Oil warning. Pan was at about 255 degrees.

Thoughts?
Old 10-03-2018, 03:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Are you still getting the codes listed in the first post? (P0868, and P0740)

The heat is likely generated in the torque converter because it's not locking up, with the lift and bigger tires making it worse.
Old 10-03-2018, 03:26 PM
JK Newbie

740 did. Could this be as simple as my speedometer being off? I reached out to the guy I bought the Jeep from and he said he had never seen the Hot Oil message before, could be lieing though

Last edited by Haynie79; 10-03-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Well got my Jeep out of the shop and they replaced torque converter, 2 solenoids and a rebuild kit. He said there was metal everywhere and he spent a lot of time cleaning it all out. He also totally bypassed the factory cooler and I’m only using my aux cooler now. Told me the factory one was still to contaminated and didn’t want to risk damaging the transmission.

Everything is doing great with it except once the unit is warmed up it has a 2 second delay shifting into drive and reverse. Any thoughts?
Old 11-01-2018, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Does anyone else have a 2-3 second delay shifting from reverse to drive?

Quick Reply: Transmission