Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Transfer case linkage issue (not shifter bushing)

Old 01-15-2023, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer case linkage issue (not shifter bushing)

Hello all,

Here's hoping one of y'all can steer me straight on this- I have a 2016 JKU Rubi with no engagement on the transfer case shifter. Luckily, it's stuck in 2WD so I can at least drive it. I bought a new bushing for the shift linkage under the center console (as it's a cheap part and even if the trouble was elsewhere, it's a good spare to have) but that link is intact. I get underneath, and can pull the cable by its housing and it moves the shifter and appears to be connected at the other end to *something*. I can't really see where the other end of the cable goes without getting the jeep higher off the ground (my jack stands are a little short and don't lift it much, and my fat butt and a crawler leaves me with my chest up tight against the protector plate under the xfer case. I'm thinking I need a set of ramps.

EDIT: Should I be able to move the shifter by pulling on the cable housing? Do I maybe have a cable mount bracket loose or something?

Anyway, what's my next point of failure if the plastic bushing isn't the culprit?

Thanks!

Last edited by daev; 01-15-2023 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-15-2023, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 409 Likes on 384 Posts

Welcome to JKF.. Good group here and this video might assist:
Old 01-15-2023, 04:15 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for that, Jay! I'll check the bushing under the Jeep and see what I find. I had a feeling I was gonna be removing that skid plate! LOL
Old 01-15-2023, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

I jury rigged mine over a semi dry mud puddle in the bush with some rebar tie wire. It was the cable off the lever at the TCase. I took the shifter lever off, drilled out the knob stud tht holds the factory cable, placed an M7 x 35mm bolt in the hole and welded it around the head (head facing the TCase), Reinstalled lever, then I put a 1" outer diameter panel washer on, then the cable end, then the other panel washer then a nylocking nut and snugged it up so the plastic cable rod end would pivot easy. Good forever.

Last edited by Sixty4x4; 01-15-2023 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-06-2023, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

I wish mine was just a bushing. The sheathing around the cable on mine has separated.

Old 08-07-2023, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

It may be overkill , but if you are replacing the transfercase shifter cable assembly, please check out the Advance adapters transfercase cable. I have one installed in my JK and it is peace of mind without any plastic crap to break. Shifting is smooth and tight. it is expensive but probably will compare price wise with OEM parts so maybe a wash. you will never have this problem again.

Quick Reply: Transfer case linkage issue (not shifter bushing)