Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Transfer case fluid change...DIY maintenance

Old 02-03-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup. Bottle pump for the win. Made the job much easier. The only really hard part I had when doing all of my fluids was getting the damn drain plug out of the manual tranny. I got it, but... Cannot say that I cared for the process. And now I need to go buy a new 17mm hex-head driver.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the cheap, I went to Wally world and bought a ketchup bottle (like at a restaurant) and used that. You have to refill it a few times but it squeezes in the hole just fine. This only works on the Tcase, use the pumps for the diff fluid!
Old 02-03-2012, 01:45 PM
JK Freak

Great idea. Id rather have to fill up a ketchup bottle 4 times then clean up puddles of ATF+4 from the floor

Originally Posted by Tdog02
On the cheap, I went to Wally world and bought a ketchup bottle (like at a restaurant) and used that. You have to refill it a few times but it squeezes in the hole just fine. This only works on the Tcase, use the pumps for the diff fluid!
Old 02-05-2012, 04:24 AM
JK Newbie

Arrow

Doing any job on your Jeep or any vehicle ensures the right fluids , parts, filters and the actual work being and being done right. Some dealers of many brand of vehicles have been caught parklng vehciles in their lot for a estimated amount of time, and then released with false documentation, with no work done, to make money for the dealership. Some dealers and lube shops were caught mixing old fluids with new fluids to save money , also saving money on outgoing fluids to be recycled, which costs money as well.

If and when possible, do much of the work yourself. I keep all of my recepits and a full computer log showing what I did and when i did it. Your Jeep will be around a long time if you do so.

My other recomendation, is to not always buy dealer parts , anything ranging from a oil filter to a driveline or engine part. I buy everything from Napa and PepBoys, etc. Parts are cheaper and better , as due to these parts companies needing the auto enthusits to come to them for reliable and high performing parts, unlike the dealers and lube shops relying on folks who do not have the ability " garage, tools, time, etc" or just not wanting to be involved with the hassle at all.

It has been noted since the latest recession, all the parts and auto retail parts store chains have noted a recent amount of busisness from do it yourself people due to folks tired of being washed out of their money with high service prices and parts and bad service techniques.

My 2 cents. Not ever dealer is bad, some good ones do still exists, Just never had a good expierence in life with them.

** SKULL_FACE **
Old 02-06-2012, 02:50 AM
JK Newbie

The dealership I work at would be $269 for the diffs and $99 for the transfer case. Then of course the oil change would be additional as well. My job depends on people buying these services, but I dont see how the average Joe can afford it.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thats what SHE said...

Totally dude!!!
Originally Posted by SKULL_FACE
Doing any job on your Jeep or any vehicle ensures the right fluids , parts, filters and the actual work being and being done right. Some dealers of many brand of vehicles have been caught parklng vehciles in their lot for a estimated amount of time, and then released with false documentation, with no work done, to make money for the dealership. Some dealers and lube shops were caught mixing old fluids with new fluids to save money , also saving money on outgoing fluids to be recycled, which costs money as well.

If and when possible, do much of the work yourself. I keep all of my recepits and a full computer log showing what I did and when i did it. Your Jeep will be around a long time if you do so.

My other recomendation, is to not always buy dealer parts , anything ranging from a oil filter to a driveline or engine part. I buy everything from Napa and PepBoys, etc. Parts are cheaper and better , as due to these parts companies needing the auto enthusits to come to them for reliable and high performing parts, unlike the dealers and lube shops relying on folks who do not have the ability " garage, tools, time, etc" or just not wanting to be involved with the hassle at all.

It has been noted since the latest recession, all the parts and auto retail parts store chains have noted a recent amount of busisness from do it yourself people due to folks tired of being washed out of their money with high service prices and parts and bad service techniques.

My 2 cents. Not ever dealer is bad, some good ones do still exists, Just never had a good expierence in life with them.

** SKULL_FACE **
Old 06-06-2012, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did my differentials, manual transmission, and transfer case for around $80.00 in fluids. I have never even changed my own oil before but could not afford to have paid for these services to be done! I was quoted $100. For Each differential and thought they were crazy. I will now change my own oil after learning how easy this stuff is to do!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh yeah, so my answer is you definitely saved money and know it was done correctly! I have an issue with paying for something I can't see the results to and now that I have seen how to do it I am happy I did it myself!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jpeck71
I think you are still saving yourself a bunch of money. At mine I think they charge somewhere between $100-150 Per Diff. And that's not even counting replacing fluids in the transfer case. I did the diffs myself and fluids cost me about $70 for both.
Yeah, I was quoted $145 per differential and $150 for a transfer case service by dealership. That's $440!!! I am doing it myself when time comes.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by davison0976

Yeah, I was quoted $145 per differential and $150 for a transfer case service by dealership. That's $440!!! I am doing it myself when time comes.
Yes, changing the diff fluid is as easy, if not easier than changing the oil thanks to the drain plugs in our jeeps. The trickiest part is trying to fit the bottle of oil up high enough to get it poured into the fill hole. I put a flexible tube into the bottle when I did it and made a squeeze bottle out of it. I may invest in a cheap pump. Perhaps harbor freight has one that works.

Quick Reply: Transfer case fluid change...DIY maintenance