Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Trans won't shift to 3rd

Old 09-24-2018, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans won't shift to 3rd

We changed the front brakes in my jku and I added smart blend synthetic to ease hard shifting ...now ot shift 1st ..2nd..but wont shift to 3rd ..rpms just climb.

I just spent 1900 last month on a new computer and crank plate. I've had the jeep about 4 months the guy before me said he replaced the trans but had a family mechanic do it so there is no paper trail...

any ideas?
Old 09-24-2018, 10:27 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandy Staggs
We changed the front brakes in my jku and I added smart blend synthetic to ease hard shifting ...now ot shift 1st ..2nd..but wont shift to 3rd ..rpms just climb.<br /><br />I just spent 1900 last month on a new computer and crank plate. I've had the jeep about 4 months the guy before me said he replaced the trans but had a family mechanic do it so there is no paper trail...<br /><br />any ideas?
What year JK are you talking about? You should not put any type of additive into the automatic transmission. It should have only ATF+4 in it.

This is from the JK owner's manual:
Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is an engineered product and its performance may be impaired by supplemental additives. Therefore, do not add any fluid additives to the transmission. The only exception to this policy is the use of special dyes to aid in detecting fluid leaks. In addition, avoid using transmission sealers as they may adversely affect seals.

Have you checked to see if any code has been set? "Limp mode" will limit shifting to 2nd gear.

Last edited by ronjenx; 09-24-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
What year JK are you talking about? You should not put any type of additive into the automatic transmission. It should have only ATF+4 in it.

Have you checked to see if any code has been set? "Limp mode" will limit shifting to 2nd gear.
its an 09
took and had codes pulled and said it was trans pressure line too high?
Old 09-24-2018, 10:44 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandy Staggs
its an 09
took and had codes pulled and said it was trans pressure line too high?
Post the code number and I'll post the list of possible causes.

Quick Reply: Trans won't shift to 3rd