Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Trans temp ?

Old 04-27-2010, 04:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trans temp ?

i recently got a trans temp gauge.. i was just wondering what the trans temp should normally be ? and what would be considered dangerous temps ? thanks
Old 04-27-2010, 06:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blockrockin
i recently got a trans temp gauge.. i was just wondering what the trans temp should normally be ? and what would be considered dangerous temps ? thanks
Heat is the enemy of ATF. What temps are you showing? Under what conditions?

"As a rule of thumb, every 20 degree increase in operating temperature above 175 degrees F. cuts the life of the fluid in half!

At 195 degrees F., for instance, fluid life is reduced to 50,000 miles. At 220 degrees, which is commonly encountered in many transmissions, the fluid is only good for about 25,000 miles. At 240 degrees F., the fluid won't go much over 10,000 miles. Add another 20 degrees, and life expectancy drops to 5,000 miles. Go to 295 or 300 degrees F., and 1,000 to 1,500 miles is about all you'll get before the transmission burns up. "

Quick Reply: Trans temp ?