Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Trailer Towing Question.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the most anyone has towed with their Jeep? I'm looking at getting a new Tahoe boat, and the weight will exceed 3500. Is there a way to increase towing limits on the JK, ie weld the hitch to the frame??

Tom
Bryson City, NC

Last edited by SpudRacer; 04-11-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by SpudRacer
What is the most anyone has towed with their Jeep? I'm loking at getting a new Tahoe boat, and the weight will exceed 3500. Is there a way to increase towing limits on the JK, ie weld the hitch to the frame??

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Nope! No way to increase the towing capacity. Welded hitch, bolted hitch. All the same.
It is a liability issue, mostly. People tow more than the 3500 limit, which is fine, as long as nothing goes wrong. As soon as something unexpected happens, and damage is caused, or someone gets hurt, you will be at fault for exceeding the published limit.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:09 AM
Ely
JK Newbie

As a foot note to what every one else has said some trailers have the axle to close to the hitch for the rated weight of the trailer. The only fix is to move the axle toward the back of the trailer this will also make the trailer easier to back up.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

In my opinion, the JK is way under-rated for towing. I've been towing my Ranger Bass Boat for 2 years now. The power is just terrible, but if the Liberty can tow 5000, there's no reason why the JK can't tow 5000 as well... liability issue or not.

Tom
Bryson CIty, NC
Old 04-11-2009, 08:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion, the JK is way under-rated for towing. I've been towing my Ranger Bass Boat for 2 years now. The power is just terrible, but if the Liberty can tow 5000, there's no reason why the JK can't tow 5000 as well... liability issue or not.

Tom
Bryson CIty, NC
I burned up a transmission pulling a 3500# trailer. Had it replaced under warranty because the dealer agreed my trailer met the limitations as specified in the manual.

You burn up a tranny and see if the dealer cares.

Also, if you want to risk everything you own because your opinion is it's OK, well, what can anyone say? Except maybe the family you hurt (or worse) because your overloaded JK went out of control. That's MY opinion.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:54 AM
JK Super Freak

What is the most anyone has towed with their Jeep? I'm looking at getting a new Tahoe boat, and the weight will exceed 3500. Is there a way to increase towing limits on the JK, ie weld the hitch to the frame??

Tom
Bryson City, NC
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ighlight=Rocky
Old 04-11-2009, 08:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
I burned up a transmission pulling a 3500# trailer. Had it replaced under warranty because the dealer agreed my trailer met the limitations as specified in the manual.

Also, if you want to risk everything you own because your opinion is it's OK, well, what can anyone say? Except maybe the family you hurt (or worse) because your overloaded JK went out of control. That's MY opinion.
x2 -
Old 04-11-2009, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

I just got a electric brakes run from my hitch to an actuator by the steering wheel. It really straightens out my pop-up camper, that has trailer brakes. Might be worth it if your trailer has brakes also.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:09 PM
JK Jedi

Tom
Bryson CIty, NC
It's not an apples to apples comparison. The JK suspension is much softer (for articulation) than the KJ, which rides much stiffer. The KJ also sits lower to the ground. Lastly, despite being rated for about the same hp, the 3.7L in the KJ seems much stronger than the JK 3.8L. Who knows what other variables come into play.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:35 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by AZJeeper

I have said before, Jeep engineers have stated the difference between the JK's tow rating, and other Jeep platforms, is lack of air through the JK radiator.
Burning up a transmission, whose cooling depends on air through the radiator, supports this.
Regarding exceeding the rated capacity, anyone can say "liability or not", but that won't save you in court.

Quick Reply: Trailer Towing Question.