Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Trailer Towing Question.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailer Towing Question.

I towed a Mule 610 in a trailer the other day & the wag was horrible. I really don't know much about towing, since I've only towed a very light boat with a very big truck before.

How do I stop the wag? Do I need more weight on the tongue, a bigger drop hitch to level the trailer?

I have an unlimited with the tow package (3500# rating).

The Mule weighs around 1000# and the 5x10 trailer is kin of heavy with the wood floor, but I don't think I'm close to limits since acceleration seems normal.

Any tips from you guys that have done some real towing?
Old 04-04-2009, 08:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you don't have enough weight in the front of the trailer. The trailer should be about 10% heavier in front of the axle than behind. This is what I tow. I use a weight distributing hitch with anti-sway so the trailer is hardly noticeable - until I get to a hill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep with trailer.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	21721
Old 04-04-2009, 09:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just try leveling the load more

To much tongue weight can cause this too.l
Old 04-05-2009, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

THis is always a problem with a vehicle that has rear coils. The leaf springs take a lot of sway out.

You may want to put more air in your rear tires.

You either have to much wight on ball or not enough.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When you load it, have someone else watch how the rear sits on your Jeep, you want it slightly down from when the trailer was empty then make the spot where its correct, might have to back it on. X3 with the others eather too much weight or not enought.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:12 AM
JK Freak

thanks. i think it is not enough tongue weight then.

i'll try loading it backwards before the big trip east.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:28 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

a bigger drop hitch to level the trailer?
This is what has me curious. Just how much angle (not sure angle is the right word here?) is there? How far do you need to drop the ball so that the trailer is sitting level? I would think that too much of an angle would make for some squirrelly handling.

Don't know how important it is, but I'm using a 5 3/4" drop on the jeep, and a 8" drop on my dodge to get the boat trailer level.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-10-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

Default Tounge weight is the key!

Trailer sway is almost always caused by too little tounge weight. Some landscape trailers are bad about having their axle welded too close to the front of the trailer. Ask me how I know, that is another story. Trailers should be as level as possible, expecially if it's a tamdem axle.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
This is what has me curious. Just how much angle (not sure angle is the right word here?) is there? How far do you need to drop the ball so that the trailer is sitting level? I would think that too much of an angle would make for some squirrelly handling.

Don't know how important it is, but I'm using a 4" drop on the jeep, and a 8" drop on my dodge to get the boat trailer level.
I am using a 4" right now. It had the trailer level until I added a 2.5 lift. Harbor freight had there adjustable on sale this weekend for $20 so I bought one just in case.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

I push the towing limit with my 2 door with my camper and I don't have a sway problem. But I also have a leveling hitch with sway control on it per the Jeep manual recommendations.

Quick Reply: Trailer Towing Question.