Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Trailer Sway Damping/Control

Old 02-26-2010, 09:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailer Sway Damping/Control

At the end of December 2009 I purchased a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport without the Trailer Tow Group and at the beginning of January 2010 I installed a Smittybilt trailer hitch receiver. I noticed that the factory Trailer Tow Group includes "Trailer Sway Damping" so I looked in the manual and saw that the only similar item was "Trailer Sway Control" which was both a software and a hardware feature.

On 7 January 2010 I called Jeep to find out if "Trailer Sway Damping" or "Trailer Sway Control" was a software feature associated with my VIN. I was told that it was not installed on my vehicle.

On 7 January 2010 I sent the following e-mail to mopar.com:
"Hi, I purchased a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport without Trailer Tow Group. I noticed that the Trailer Tow Group includes "Trailer Sway Damping". The owner manual mentions "Trailer Sway Control" as a software feature of the Electronic Brake Control System on page 364 and page 377. The owner manual also mentions "Trailer Sway Control" as a hardware feature on page 411. I have several questions:

1. Are Trailer Sway Damping and Trailer Sway Control the same thing?
2. Are they a software or hardware feature?
3. Can Trailer Sway Damping/Control be purchased and/or installed by the
dealership separately from the Trailer Tow Group?

Thanks for any assistance!"

On 8 January 2010, this is the response I got from mopar.com:
"Dear David, Thank you for inquiring about the Trailer Tow Group. In response to your inquiry, please contact your local dealer for assistance with your inquiries. If you need assistance locating a dealer in your area, please visit our website and select the Dealer Locator option to find the nearest dealership to you. Thank you for contacting the Mopar eStore."

During mid-January 2010 I installed the Mopar 4-way Trailer Tow Wiring Harness.

On 21 January 2010 I went to my dealer with the same question and was told that Trailer Sway Control "can not be installed at this time."

There are several threads relating to this topic on jk-forums but I don't think there is a definitive answer about whether Trailer Sway Damping/Control can be or needs to be installed in order to achieve the same performance as the factory Trailer Tow Group when you install an aftermarket hitch receiver. I'd really like to know if I'm missing a software or hardware feature that would improve the performance of my hitch receiver. Thanks for any feedback!

References:

Pg. 364 (2010 Wrangler Unlimited Owner Manual)
ELECTRONIC BRAKE CONTROL SYSTEM
Your vehicle is equipped with an advanced electronic brake control system that includes Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS), Traction Control System (TCS), Brake Assist System (BAS), Hill Start Assist (HSA), Electronic Roll Mitigation (ERM), Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and Trailer Sway Control (TSC). All of these systems work together to enhance vehicle stability and control in various driving conditions, and are commonly referred to as ESC.

Pg. 377 (2010 Wrangler Unlimited Owner Manual)
Trailer Sway Control (TSC)
TSC uses sensors in the vehicle to recognize an excessively swaying trailer and will take the appropriate actions to attempt to stop the sway. The system may reduce engine power and apply the brake of the appropriate wheel(s) to counteract the sway of the trailer. TSC will become active automatically once an excessively swaying trailer is recognized. No driver action is required. Note that TSC cannot stop all trailers from swaying. Always use caution when towing a trailer and follow the tongue weight recommendations. Refer to "Trailer Towing" in Section 5 of this manual for more information on towing a trailer with your vehicle. When TSC is functioning, the "ESC Malfunction Indicator Light" will flash, the engine power may be reduced and you may feel the brakes being applied to individual wheels to attempt to stop the trailer from swaying. TSC is disabled when the ESC system is in the "Partial Off" or "Full Off" modes.

Pg. 411 (2010 Wrangler Unlimited Owner Manual)
Trailer Sway Control - If Equipped
The trailer sway control is a telescoping link that can be installed between the hitch receiver and the trailer tongue. It typically provides adjustable friction associated with the telescoping motion to dampen any unwanted trailer swaying motions while traveling.

http://www.media.chrysler.com/newsre...d=8116&mid=147
"In addition, 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited models add refinement to the mix with standard Hill Start Assist (HSA) that prevents rollback on a graded surfaces. Trailer Sway Control (TSC) also is available to monitor vehicle movement relative to the intended path and activates the Electronic Stability Program (ESP) if the trailer begins to sway outside set parameters."

http://www.allpar.com/corporate/tech-2009.html
"Trailer sway control reduces trailer sway and improves handling in adverse towing conditions caused by crosswinds, traffic and improper weight distribution on the trailer. The system monitors the vehicle's movement relative to the driver's intended path and the vehicle yaw sensor recognizes sway. Trailer Sway Control applies brake pressure to one front wheel to counteract the yaw induced by the trailer and applies brake pressure to all four wheels to slow the vehicle. As the trailer sways to the other side of the vehicle, Trailer Sway Control will increase pressure to the opposite side of the vehicle. The system will continue to apply alternating brake pressure and reduce engine torque until the trailer is under control."

Last edited by Scopedog; 02-27-2010 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention that during mid-January 2010 I installed the Mopar 4-way Trailer Tow Wiring Harness.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:28 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

The trailer sway control mentioned on page 411 of your manual is a device separate from the electronic sway control. Is is an accessory that can be added to any vehicle.

I find it hard to believe all 2009 and newer JK's don't have the electronic sway control already programmed in. And if not, it should be easily programmed.
Unfortunately, it doesn't take much for a dealer to say something can't be done.

Ask a few other dealers if yours has it even though you didn't get the trailer tow package, and if not, can it be added by a simple flash.

Edit to add:

I called two dealers.
One said when you install the factory trailer wire harness, the trailer sway control will activate when it recognizes a trailer is connected to it.

The other dealer didn't know for sure, so he will call tech support Monday.
Try a couple of dealers in your area, too.

Last edited by ronjenx; 02-27-2010 at 04:40 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The trailer sway control mentioned on page 411 of your manual is a device separate from the electronic sway control. Is is an accessory that can be added to any vehicle.
Do you know where I could find a picture of the "telescoping link" described on page 411?
Old 02-27-2010, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a Mopar receiver and trailer wire harness. Called a dealer and asked if the trailer sway control was something I needed to add. He didn't know, but called Chrysler to find out. The next day he called me back and told me that according to the engineers in Detroit, all Wranglers have trailer sway control as part of the electronic stability control feature. It kicks in when it feels abnormal pressure on the rear end. He told me that it would work with any receiver or wiring setup.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:04 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Scopedog
Do you know where I could find a picture of the "telescoping link" described on page 411?
I would Google it.
Most hitch places should have them in their catalogs, too.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeep450
I installed a Mopar receiver and trailer wire harness. Called a dealer and asked if the trailer sway control was something I needed to add. He didn't know, but called Chrysler to find out. The next day he called me back and told me that according to the engineers in Detroit, all Wranglers have trailer sway control as part of the electronic stability control feature. It kicks in when it feels abnormal pressure on the rear end. He told me that it would work with any receiver or wiring setup.
This makes perfect sense to me....all it is is the ESP kicking in when the vehicle is sensing the rear wheel (s) loosing traction due to side to side movement.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I would Google it.
Most hitch places should have them in their catalogs, too.
I did some research on google, as you suggested, and came to the conclusion that the Trailer Sway Control on page 411 is a standard term and definition for the link between the hitch and the trailer tongue. The reason I thought it may have more significance is because on pg. 411 it says "if equipped" next to Trailer Sway Control and this made me think it might be the Trailer Sway Damping referred to in the features of the Trailer Tow Group.

Originally Posted by jeep450
This is what I thought from reading the wording in the owner's manual. What makes me suspicious is the fact that "Trailer Sway Damping" is a feature of the factory Trailer Tow Group which makes it seem like you would have to have the factory version installed in order to get that feature.

I appreciate everybody's help so far. When I was researching this last month, I contacted one service associate in person and one by phone. Like I said in my original post, the service associate I went to in person just said it "can not be done at this time." I had printed the references from the owner's manual and given them to her and she had supposedly shown them to the mechanic or tech or whoever so I didn't dispute it with her. The service associate I spoke to over the phone didn't understand what I was talking about so I didn't press the issue.

The uncertainty of all this is surprising to me. I work in administration of pay entitlements and I often have to do research in manuals and references. Sometimes a reference is vague or there is conflicting interpretations or there is an unusual situation that does not seem to be covered. When this happens, either my supervisor or I contact the people who dictate the policy in the references in order to get a definitive answer. It seems the service associates should be able to call somebody at Jeep or Mopar who can answer my question. Someone dictated what the features of the Trailer Tow Group are. Someone dictated what the features of the Electronic Brake Control System are. Someone implemented these software or hardware features and knows the circumstances and details of their installation.

Last edited by Scopedog; 02-28-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Since there has been no further progress on this topic and dealing with Jeep service associates has been an exercise in futility (in my experience), I felt it appropriate to consolidate the various speculations and conclusions that have been posted in the past about this topic on other threads within this website. They are varied and contradictory and I feel this will at least give other posters an idea of where this matter currently stands. Thanks again to everyone that has contributed!

Re: Tow Package and Navigation from factory vs. OEM dealer retrofit?
Post #2 by Atl JK, 07-08-2009, 05:46 PM
"...edit: actually on the '09s you would be minus the trailer sway control. You'd have to have the dealership flash the computer for you to make it work. Mine's an '08 so it wasn't available yet."
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/tow-package-navigation-factory-vs-oem-dealer-retrofit-93066/

Post #16 by Landmarkbuilder, 07-24-2009, 12:19 PM
"Not to resurrect a dead horse here, but i just talked to my local Jeep dealer that i purchased from. I asked what they charged to reflash the ECU for the trailer sway control on my 09, and their response was it cant be done unless it was ordered with "stabilitrack". Now, i asked him if "stabilitrack" was a GM thing (cause the dealer also GM), and they told me no, it will say stabilitrack on my window sticker. I am loosing confidence in this dealer quickly as to their competance. They are Mod friendly, the service manager is even the persident of the local jeep club...Can anyone clear this up? Can the ECU be reflashed to turn on the trailer sway control??"
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=93066&page=2

post #17 by dmhines, 07-24-2009, 01:14 PM
"I thought sway control was a part of ESM .... everyone has it ... but it only comes into play when trailering ...

If it could or should be added the dealer flash instructions would come with the factory receiver ...."

post #18 by Atl JK, 07-24-2009, 01:48 PM
"Wow, your dealership is clueless.

I know it can be done, I've seen it done first hand."
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=93066&page=2

Re: Adding Hill Start Assist and Trailer Sway Control
post #18 by trick50, 11-22-2008, 04:24 PM
"The trailer thing is probably a software thing that would need to be programmed in maybe a sensor as well."
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=61037&page=2

Re: Tow package?
Post #25 by Firetuck, 12-14-2009, 07:28 PM
"On my 10, they had to order the tow package separate due to it not being ordered. I was told that it consitted of the hitch, wiring harness and a sway bar repacement for the rear."
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...=110849&page=3
Old 07-21-2010, 08:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

"If it could or should be added the dealer flash instructions would come with the factory receiver ...."

I bought and installed my own hitch, but then had the dealer install the 4-pin wiring harness. They did do a reflash after installing the harness, but I'm not sure if that actually enabled "Trailer Sway Damping/Control" or it just updated some installed-option list.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I see you are from San Diego which is pretty vast, however, up in the North County we have a great dealership in Escondido (Jack Powell Chrysler, Dodge & Jeep) who are mod friendly and pretty knowledgeable. If you continue to run into walls with the dealerships close to you I'd give them a try. Good luck and hope to see you at a Suds n Grubs at some point.

Quick Reply: Trailer Sway Damping/Control