Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Trackbar Bracket Failure Leading to ABS/ESC System Fault

Old 02-20-2022, 07:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Trackbar Bracket Failure Leading to ABS/ESC System Fault

Hi Fellow Jeepsters! I'm the original owner of a 2017 RHD Wrangler JK Unlimited that I bought in the US to export overseas while in the service. My Jeep only has 15k miles and the trackbar bracket broke away from the frame due to a faulty weld from the factory; yup, really sucks! It took me three months to get a new bracket shipped and then welded on. There were issues getting the front end aligned from when the bracket broke. At the time of the incident, my ESC light came on and the steering wheel was 90 degrees to the left. I was out in the boonies so had to drive home causing the axle to float a bit which caused the alignment problems afterward. After a while it was difficult to turn the Jeep, the hubs began to bind and groan, and the vehicle felt like it wanted to stall at times. I understand that this was all because of the ESC kicking in even though I had deactivated it by pushing the button, just once. I didn't know I could deactivate the system further by holding the button longer. Anyway, now with the mechanical issues fixed, the ABS and ESC indicators are illuminated and the mechanic doesn't know what to do. I don't know what type of diagnostic equipment my mechanic is using but it shows all four wheel sensors turning off at the same time around 30mph, so it appears to me that the fault is at a central point. I didn't have any problems with my Jeep prior to this incident so I doubt that the wheel sensors are bad; after all I only have 15K on the odometer and the vehicle hasn't been on any extreme road trips. I should be able to drive the vehicle as is right? But to get it fixed - I've read several postings on YouTube and this forum on how to turn off or reset the indicator lights as well as resetting the ECU. Does anyone think any of these steps would help? Is it possible that I overloaded my ABS module and need to replace that?

I'd appreciate any suggestions.
Old 02-21-2022, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 479 Likes on 430 Posts

Longshot - You might want to look at the brake anti-lock module as it controls all the wheel inputs and is Canbus connected to the system. There are also 3 power supplies going to the controller - 2 are permanent hot and 1 is ignition switched. If you lose some of those supplies the lights come on as mine did when I lost them all.
Old 02-22-2022, 01:18 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts
Lightbulb Read the Codes

Have someone read the codes with an enhanced scanner, one that reads all the modules (rather than just the powertrain). Better yet, get Jscan (android) or DiagFCA (windows) and read them yourself + have the equipment for next time. Link in my sig with more info... Also, it won't hurt to try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see what happens.

Last edited by Mr.T; 02-22-2022 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-28-2022, 05:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed

Finally got the Jeep back from the dealer who couldn't figure out the problem. I reset the computer and all is well now! Thanks for your advice.
Old 02-28-2022, 06:11 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by JeepDude2017
Finally got the Jeep back from the dealer who couldn't figure out the problem. I reset the computer and all is well now! Thanks for your advice.
Great! Glad to help, made my day.

Quick Reply: Trackbar Bracket Failure Leading to ABS/ESC System Fault