Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Trac lock -- Lockers

Old 11-13-2007, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trac lock -- Lockers

Probably a stupid question but i dont reall know much about this.

I was just looking on jeep.com .. when u go to build a jeep and add trac lock rear its says rear locker N/a...

Can someone explain or more appropriately Will someone explain to me what the difference is, which is better .. Whats up with the lockers...

From what ive gathered it locks the rear axle to allow full traction(without the trac lock the rear has one drive wheel ..limited slip?)... the trac lock has both axles always locked..... Am i on the right track... Is there a benefit to having one over the other...lockers are like $800 option vs $300 traclock
Trac lock would be what i would know as a posi traction rear? Im new to the whole Wrangler 4X stuff..

Thanks

Last edited by RonFDNY77; 11-13-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

K thanks I WANT LOCKERS DAMMIT!! .. If track lock is limited slip then what is the rear that come standard
Old 11-13-2007, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RonFDNY77
.. If track lock is limited slip then what is the rear that come standard
open differential
Old 11-13-2007, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RonFDNY77
K thanks I WANT LOCKERS DAMMIT!! .. If track lock is limited slip then what is the rear that come standard
Standard is what they are calling "brake lock differentials". Mechanically speaking it is open...but the electronic traction control applies the brakes to the spinning wheel to make it act like a limited slip...just not as well. Did that make sense???
Old 11-13-2007, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

pretty much, all set thanks.....
Old 11-14-2007, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

I got the trac loc option with mine and as I have stated before it performs very well. I have an Eaton limited slip in my Chevy 4x4 and it does not work near as good as the Jeep Trac Loc. Mostly what I use it for is the very steep gravel road where I live. Now some may laugh and say its "just a gravel road". It is so steep they actually poured a strip of concrete in one section so you can put your "traction" wheel on it to help you up. With trac-loc I don't need concrete or four wheel drive. I did most of my wild dog 4 wheelin in my younger days. We kept a spare everything because sooner or later something would break. I don't know how folks do it today without knowing how to work on their own rides.....must get very expensive or the wheelin is not as intense
Old 11-14-2007, 05:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikejwil
..."brake lock differentials"...like a limited slip...just not as well...
That's an arguable opinion. I think the BLD works pretty darn well.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:25 PM
JK Newbie

How can you really tell when it's just the BLD, or when the Trac-Loc kicks in? I was out testing mine, with Trac-Loc, and couldn't really tell when it was just the BLD or when the Trac-Loc was working.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:27 PM
JK Super Freak

The BLDs work well. My only beef with them is they put to much stress on the wheel that is in the air. The u-joint that I broke happened when I was climbing a lamp post. It was the wheel that was in the air. Can't be absolute certain that it didn't begin breaking prior to, but I heard it pop on that climb.

Last edited by 2climbbig; 11-14-2007 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WNCJK
How can you really tell when it's just the BLD, or when the Trac-Loc kicks in? I was out testing mine, with Trac-Loc, and couldn't really tell when it was just the BLD or when the Trac-Loc was working.
The Trac-lock should be working all the time. You won't ever really "notice" it working unless you spin the inside tire while turning tight. The BLD is very similar in function. You can actually feel or hear it applying the brakes at a particular wheel sometimes, usually when it begins to lose traction a little. It is most noticable when one of your tires is in the air while you are moving slowly. This is when you can hear the brakes "groan" as the pads clamp down on the rotor in an attempt to slow that wheel down to match the speed of the tire with traction. It would be interesting to compare the capabilities of a Trac-lock with no BLD, an open dif with BLD, and a Trac-lock with BLD.

Quick Reply: Trac lock -- Lockers