Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

TPMS Sensor / valve stem

Old 01-24-2011, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Sensor / valve stem

it seems the tip of my valve stem has broken off.. none of my stems have caps on em either- my tire is loosing pressure and I can't get air back in it, the TPMS is yellin' at me, and I don't really have 75 dollars for a new sensor right now.. well I do, but I'd much rather check with you guys first and see if I can save myself a bit of money instead of going and buying an entire new sensor.

went to 3 shops and even called the dealer and they all agree that I need to purchase a whole new sensor.. surely theres a kit out there to repair damage like this? Right where the threads end on the stem is where it broke off.

Last edited by Midgear; 01-24-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:32 AM
JK Freak

I think you can just get the rebuild kit that they do when you change wheels and that is around 27.00. Not sure, but I believe the one they showed me was the new valve stem, etc., from the sensor up. I would check with someone like Discount Tire if you have them in your area. Good luck. Another great reason why we love the whole TPMS issue. I used to run metal stems and never broke on or had one cut by rocks or anyone else.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just had one of those broken stems fixed under warrenty:-)

Can you put in a regular rubber valve stem until you can afford the $25 that www.rockauto.com charges for them?

Howard
Old 01-24-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by largo
I would check with someone like Discount Tire if you have them in your area.
I did, and the guy didn't seem very interested in helpin' me out. he walked outside and looked at it and goes "nope, you'll need an entire new sensor and you'll have to wait a couple days for us to get it ordered, they usually run about 70 dollars"

I was like.. "surely theres a rebuild kit available for a situation like this?" and he just shook his head no and walked inside.. so I left-

guess ill just swap it to the spare till I can get "serviceable" sensors.

Last edited by Midgear; 01-24-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got to amazon.com and search for the following 2 things.

TPMS 20020 $5.63 This is the stem. You need one of these based on your pic.

TPMS 20030 $6.54 This is nut, O-Ring, cap, core etc. It is also known as the "Rebuild Kit" that tire shops add to your bill. They are supposed to use one of these rebuild kits for each tire anytime they break the bead on a TPMS sensor equipped tire.

If you have a stock jack and a 8" long piece of 2 X 4 lumber you can fix it yourself. My local tire shops charge $20 - $30 per tire + rebuild kit cost to do anything to the sensors.

Based on that pic, your sensor is fine. Find a different tire shop.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure if what you have broken comes in the kit to re build it.

I would try the dealership and after that go online sensors are less than $50 online, maybe on amazon or rockauto.

edit: also you can probably get one from someone from here..

edit2: I just saw the previous post, stem ar eavailable....good find!

Quick Reply: TPMS Sensor / valve stem